How do you keep your flowerhorn tanks?

Joushua Nunez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2017
Hi. Just want to see how everyone keeps their flowerhorn tanks. Do you guys like it bare? With substrate? With decors/plants? What are the advantages and disadvantages. Thanks.

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
I like it bare with some small rocks for it to play it with blue background . Makes it easier to clean and easier for it to move around

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
I keep them with sand substrate, wood and maybe a rock or 2. Plants just become chew toys, wood for tannins and rocks for something to hide behind If if they are stressed. I like to use the sand since they like to dig, I do not recommend grave since it traps detritus.

Chaory

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2017
I used a layer of river rocks and a painted black background. Only one layer of rocks, so when I gravel vac, I can get most of the trapped debris etc. I tried bare bottom, sand, but fish poop is very noticeable while using those.

LloydGross

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2017
I keep them with sand substrate, rocks and Driftwood. I hate bare tanks both in looks and in the fishes lack of personality

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
I keep me totally bare. The only items inside the tank and the 2 filter intakes and outlet spout, 1 powerhead, and 1 FH per 90 gallon aquarium. I have used driftwood in the past and this just led to problems. My old FH would hurt and/or scrape his kok on any deco, so I removed all and have not had any issues since.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store