How do you pronounce BICHIR ?

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
It's Buh-sheer.

The name was an Arabic dialect of spiny fish which live in the Nile river (Abushir). During Napoleon's conquest of Egypt, one of his naturalist who 'discovered' them, used the local dialect Bushir and gave them the French spelling 'Bichir'. That 'ch' makes a 'sh' sound, not a 'kuh' sound. Because it's not a common name people easily mistake it. Google also does a horrible job at giving you the right answer too, but most results on Google won't even give you the right species when you search them, online is filled with misinformation.

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
It's Buh-sheer.

The name was an Arabic dialect of spiny fish which live in the Nile river (Abushir). During Napoleon's conquest of Egypt, one of his naturalist who 'discovered' them, used the local dialect Bushir and gave them the French spelling 'Bichir'. That 'ch' makes a 'sh' sound, not a 'kuh' sound. Because it's not a common name people easily mistake it. Google also does a horrible job at giving you the right answer too, but most results on Google won't even give you the right species when you search them, online is filled with misinformation.
The names Abushir, Abshire and Bushir are still spoken today in Egypt, granted less often as P. bichir from Egypt are likely extinct now.

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
Josh's Fish Josh's Fish just ordered your book cant wait to read it and put it up by my buh-sheer tank.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It's funny if you go to most Petsmart's or Petco's in my area no matter how you pronounce Bichir, Biker, Bicher they didn't know what I was talking about. Most never heard of the Polypterus lol.
One otherwise great shop here only knew them as poly eels!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store