How fast do rays heal?

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Before my old male ray past he left my feamale a parting gift. He took a nice big chunk out of her disk. Just curious how long it might take to heal.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I have noticed instead of healing they tend to grow out of chunks like that. It sometimes can take a long time, as Im guessing that one will because it looks to be pretty big.

In general I have noticed ray wounds close up quick, but missing sections take a while to regrow.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
I don't doubt it either, was just curious. It is a big chunk, about the width of a quarter and about and inch long. I have my fingers crossed that maybe they spawned when this happened.

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Andy,

That doesn't look like most ray bites I have seen. That goes deep into the disc. Most ray bites are wider and more shallow.

Do you have any other tankmates (catfish) that could do the damage?

Colin

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Andy,

That doesn't look like most ray bites I have seen. That goes deep into the disc. Most ray bites are wider and more shallow.

Do you have any other tankmates (catfish) that could do the damage?

Colin

Colin at the time of her getting that wound, my old male just died, and I noticed that in the area there was some dead tissue, then with here moving constanly it just fell out. She was by herself when I noticed it.

Then I got the new ray from Dave and the only thing we could come to the conclusion was that my old male did it.

The catfish I have in the first pic I just put back in the tank yesterday and he has been in there before and if he took a bite it would be bigger that what it is. In person the wound looks just like a ray took the chunk out.

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
Will probably take a few months. Something similar happened to my tiger I had and its almost healed!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store