How I clean Eheim 2217 Filter

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
where's the black carbon filter pad in this setup? i think i only see the blue pad & the white pad

TheRealAndyCook

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2010
Canada
why did you wash the rings in tap water? shouldn't you just rinse them in tank water...since chlorine is put in our water to kill bacteria? and the point of the rings is to house bacteria?

papawoody

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
up in here
www.myspace.com
TheRealAndyCook;4634059; said:
why did you wash the rings in tap water? shouldn't you just rinse them in tank water...since chlorine is put in our water to kill bacteria? and the point of the rings is to house bacteria?
i rinse mine in tank water anyways , but in this setup the ceramic is considered part of the mechanical filtration . the bio-media is in the mesh bag

Hot Slime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
In a Smuckers jar.
Yea the rings in the eheim's are mech, there the very first thing that crap will have to pass by so they get filthy. I don't use a media bag, though maybe I should get one. Must make cleaning alot easier, though I've serviced my eheim twice already and it's not to bad. Just got to make sure you get all the substra into the holding bucket.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Thanks for the responses and answers to questions everyone.

I always forget that many people have city supplied water that contains chlorine or chloramine. I have straight well water, no additives, so I tend to clean all my mechanical media using my tap water.

I always keep my biomedia in a pail of tank water when cleaning my filters. Though I have started to remove a third of the Substrat Pro, replacing it with cleaned (bleached, rinsed and air dried) Substrat Pro during maintenance.

Taksan, yes that filter was extremely dirty and had been previously cleaned 2 months prior to my posting. It was the 2nd filter on a 220G heavily stocked Mbuna tank and has since been replaced by an additional 2260.

I don't use carbon pads in any of my filters so that's why it wasn't shown in the pics.

billyismybigfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2010
northern wisconsin
cleaning the hoses?

i find that after only a few weeks the hoses on all my canisters are nasty.

i thread a long thin wire down the hose and attach a cleaning brush and pull it through.

my method sucks.

how do others clean the hoses?

Hot Slime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
In a Smuckers jar.
That is a good question. Mines are nasty as hell aswell, I had a brush attached to wire that I use to use to clean the hose for my other canisters but the tubeing for my ehiem is alot longer. I was thinking of just replacing the hose when it gets really nasty.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store