How long before I add my fish?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The reason those of us on municipal water supplies add dechlorinator during water changes, typically seachem prime, is to get rid of the chlorine. It's purpose is to kill pathogens in the water to make it safe for us, but it will also wipe out your entire tank too!

Dechlorinator is the fast way to remove chlorine, it's effects are immediate, but chlorine will also, in time, dissipate from the water by itself, especially if agitated.

I always use dechlorinator, we all do on municipal supply. However, if I'm just topping up my sump with a couple of litres here and there between water changes, then I don't bother with dechlorinator in this instance. Even so, I'm careful not to pour any of this untreated top up water anywhere near my bio section of my sump, just to be sure.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The reason those of us on municipal water supplies add dechlorinator during water changes, typically seachem prime, is to get rid of the chlorine. It's purpose is to kill pathogens in the water to make it safe for us, but it will also wipe out your entire tank too!

Dechlorinator is the fast way to remove chlorine, it's effects are immediate, but chlorine will also, in time, dissipate from the water by itself, especially if agitated.

I always use dechlorinator, we all do on municipal supply. However, if I'm just topping up my sump with a couple of litres here and there between water changes, then I don't bother with dechlorinator in this instance. Even so, I'm careful not to pour any of this untreated top up water anywhere near my bio section of my sump, just to be sure.
Agree
the purpose of chlorine/chloramine added to ap water is to kill infectious bacteria, and protozoa.
But it does not discriminate between good or bad bacteria

Reactions: tlindsey

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
how much percent water change do you reckon on a municipal water change would wipe out the bacteria? Like is there a daily or weekly % that it can rebound from?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
how much percent water change do you reckon on a municipal water change would wipe out the bacteria? Like is there a daily or weekly % that it can rebound from?
Are you talking about a percentage of municipal water that is not treated with water conditioner and added to the tank?

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Personally think adding 1 Senegal is fine for the fish’s safety to cycle, since they also partially breathe air I think they’re perfect for cycles. But I doubt 1 is enough to really kick off the ammonia. I started my Bichir tank with 2 and the cycle stalled halfway through cause the ammonia never passed .25ppm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store