how long before Motoro Stingrays Breed

ufarooqi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Pakistan
Hi, i have purchased male and female stingrays about 3 months back when they were 4 inch in diameter, now they are about 7 inchs, i was just wondering when do they start breeding as i have some other fish in the tank too which i may need to remove before that happens, how will i identify if the female is pregnant, how long does the pregnancy last and any tips on caring for the pups?
Thanks

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
The earliest they will breed will be at 1.5 yrs. You will notice the male start to bite at the females disc. The female will develop a bump back towards her tail as if she has just eaten a large meal. About 1/2 way through the pregnancy or perhaps a little longer you will start to see movement as the pups start to move around. Pregnancy will take approximately 80 to 100 days. When the pups arrive remove them into their own smaller tank with similar water parameters and start to feed earthworms or black worms which ever is avail. Good luck.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
i know of someone who has a prego motoro and the female is 1 year old when she got bred by a male motoro that is 1.5 years old. I know for a fact the female motoro that is prego is 1 year old, cause i bred it.

abjr

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
In my tank
I have a question to as soon as the pups are born do you take them out immediately or leave them in the same tank wit the parents for a bit

Sent from my SM-N900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

abjr

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
In my tank
I got a question to how long do you keep the pups in with the parents before you take them out and put them in a different tank

Sent from my SM-N900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I take pups out as soon as I find them. Bigger rays like to nip at each other which usually does not hurt other adults but a nip to a pup can do lots of damage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
take the pups out after they are born. Don't leave them in the tank.

Breeding depends on the male to. His claspers have to form before they will breed. The claspers will get larger and curl up.
When you start to see bit marks toward the back of the female, you know your male is getting the breeding itch.

Just some advice- that works for me.
Find a tank that you can set ontop of your main tank or in your main tank.
Allow water to be pumped in, then drain back out thru a bulk head back into your main tank.
When you do have pups, you can put the pups in this tank. This lets them stay in the main tank water for awhile till they start eating but gives them a safe place away from mom and dad.
After a few week, move the pups to their own tank that has good filtration.

Can feed earthworms or blackworms. (I prefer blackworms but they are not always easy to find in some areas. I order mine in. Cheaper than buying local.

On my main 360 tank, I found a tote that fits rt inside one of the openings. When in place, it sits 5" below the water line. I will have close to the same thing set up for my other rays tank when they start to breed.
I drilled holes in it to allow water to pass thru (also when pups are in it, I direct a powerhead toward it to help the flow of water thru it)
I can easily feed and get to the pups after they are born. Allows the pups a place to settle in for a few weeks after birth and still be in the main tank water.
Feeding is easy and this keeps their food were they can get it and ways from everyone else. This way I can see how much they are eating and no worries about anyone else getting their food.
After a few weeks, I have a 90 gallon tank already set up for the new pups. They then get moved to it to have a larger space to swim and grow.

Pics of how I separate my pups after birth on the 360 tank
r1.JPGr2.JPGr3.JPG

90 gallon pup tank for when they are moved
pup tank.JPG

Main 360 tank
360a.JPG360d.JPG

r1.JPG

r2.JPG

r3.JPG

pup tank.JPG

360a.JPG

360d.JPG