How long do rays live

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
I tried to use the "search this forum" but i didn't have any luck finding how long most rays live and how old are the oldest rays that people on this site have? I am very curious to know what species and how old they are.

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I have heard 15 - 20 years.

I had a female histrix for a little over 8 years when I lost her (tank mishap not old age).

My large motoro pair is a little over 7 years old. I have a friend that has breeding female motoros that are 9 years old.

Colin

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
I know what the books say and what the post at the top of this forum says, 20 years. I guess i am looking more for real life in our aquariums. How long have they or are they being kept in the aquarium. I am looking for replies like Colin's reply

Eric L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
washington
I am not sure about this and I dont know how long ray keeping has been around but I dont think long enough to get alot of rays that died of old age.

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
The Belle Island Aquarium in Detroit (and some hobbyists affiliated with the aquarium) have been keeping rays since the late 60's. They have been breeding them since the 70's.

We kill them off long before they can die of old age.

Colin

• Sad
Reactions: NNguyenM20

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
rvrrays said:
The Belle Island Aquarium in Detroit (and some hobbyists affiliated with the aquarium) have been keeping rays since the late 60's. They have been breeding them since the 70's.

We kill them off long before they can die of old age.

Colin

Agreed. All good ray keepers have killed a few rays themselves.

Reactions: Gpdriftwood
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store