How long does a 120 gallon tank take to fishless cycle

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
We are finally moving our boys from their 40 gallon tank to a nice roomy 120 gallon monster.

I want to do a fish-less cycle and read all the guides and how to and I was just wondering how long we should expect the cycle to take. What is most peoples experience. I have seen vastly different numbers from 2 weeks to 2 months and I just trying to get a rough idea.

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
ok, so it really depends. if you have a used filter switched immediately to the new tank, cycling wont be too long. same with quickstart, it wont take too long. but if you go the long route with a completely new filter and substrate it can take 1-2 months. usually add an old filter with the new filter, for the bacteria to nest in the new one, then add feeder goldfish or convicts to add nutrients for the bacteria. that takes about 1-2 weeks depending on your filter size or initial stocking. stock lightly, then add new fish one by one every few days. you will have it ready in no time.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
If you move over the decor, substrate and your biological part of your current filters you won't have to do a cycle.

I have done this a couple times upgrading from 55s to 125s.

But to answer your original question a fish less cycle takes 6 to 8 weeks.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Fishless cycles are fine if you are starting from scratch. But has Jexnell Jexnell said in post #3 you have seeded media, decor and gravel from your 40, it's a shame not to put them to good use. I'd transfer everything over to your 120, including fish, and away you go. Forget your fishless cycle.

For the first few days just keep an eye on your parameters just to be sure everything's bedded in nicely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store