How long does it take for my wiggler to free swim?

Fue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2016
Finally my Texas and red mammon has some wiggler. When do wiggler know to free swim and should I remove the male texas soon?

Reactions: GamerChick5567

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Some take 3-4 days. Some say warmer water temps can speed the process, but warmer temps can also make bacteria more virulent, and fungus attack faster, both of which can be problems for wrigglers.
When their yolk sack is used up, they will start to swim, its not about knowing how.
You need to be ready with first foods as soon as they start to swim, and feed frequent small meals throughout the day. Also having a good crop of algae on the glass and decor for them to graze on helps.
Sometimes it is best to remove the male as soon as they start to swim (usually do), sometimes they male helps guard.

Fue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2016
Can I feed the fry crushed flakes when they are free swimming?

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
Finally my Texas and red mammon has some wiggler. When do wiggler know to free swim and should I remove the male texas soon?
Wigglers have yolk sacks as their emergency life raft when hatching.......These sacks are not fully soaked up until about 5-8 days........This is when they are seen as tiny slivers laying the ground of the nest.........Some like to start swimming, but are strong enough........Because the protein content level, BBS is the full proof way of boosting the growth the quickest.........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store