How long does media/BB last ?

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
In my opinion, ceramic/glass type bio media lasts until you get bored with it and "want" to try something new. I still use bio media from the late 90's early 2000's (even the old quality aquaclear sponges last an eternity if you're gentle with them and not twisting and wringing them out)

Haven't had any issue with any ceramic media "not working" anymore. Now, might it be not quite as good as it was surface area wise.....sure maybe, but I've personally never had an issue to felt I could determine less capabilities. I rinse it off every 3 months with dechlorinated tap water, and keep on keeping on using it. Now sponges, like I stated if properly cared for last an eternity if made of decent quality material.

If in doubt, for ceramic media, bleach it for a few days, rinse well and soak in a heavy dose of fresh water and Prime for a week before reuse.

HoundsNTrout

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Tug Hill NY
www.Adirondackkennel.com
In my opinion, ceramic/glass type bio media lasts until you get bored with it and "want" to try something new. I still use bio media from the late 90's early 2000's (even the old quality aquaclear sponges last an eternity if you're gentle with them and not twisting and wringing them out)

Haven't had any issue with any ceramic media "not working" anymore. Now, might it be not quite as good as it was surface area wise.....sure maybe, but I've personally never had an issue to felt I could determine less capabilities. I rinse it off every 3 months with dechlorinated tap water, and keep on keeping on using it. Now sponges, like I stated if properly cared for last an eternity if made of decent quality material.

If in doubt, for ceramic media, bleach it for a few days, rinse well and soak in a heavy dose of fresh water and Prime for a week before reuse.

I'm interested in the ceramic type of media. Where can I find photos of it? Is it in sheets? Balls? Thanks.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
The nitrifying "bacteria" (and archea) that inhabit filter media can go dormant when conditions aren't right for them...and then come back from dormancy and begin reproducing when conditions are better. If in doubt, add a filter or some media from a tank with fish in it and you'll be fine.

As an aside, I keep a few extra sponge filters floating around the fishroom in case I need to set up a tank.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
there's no food. Zero. At low pH or low temps, they will reduce their metabolism, but at normal ranges of temperature and pH, they would imo perish over than span of time.
They don't create spores, so they don't have a mechanism to wait out famine.
The nitrifying "bacteria" (and archea) that inhabit filter media can go dormant when conditions aren't right for them...and then come back from dormancy and begin reproducing when conditions are better.
Hello; Interesting difference of opinion.

I keep a few extra sponge filters floating around the fishroom in case I need to set up a tank.
Hello; I do this as well in an established aquarium with live fish. I think the OP had some media that sat for around six months empty and I think probably dry.

Hello; Also there are two questions. One about the bb and the other about the physical media the bb can live on.

My take is that the old media should be well cleaned and put back into use. Then the OP needs to get some active living bb to get the tank "seeded" and start growing enough bb to balance the bio-load of the fish.

HoundsNTrout

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Tug Hill NY
www.Adirondackkennel.com
Havent seen any rise in nitrites yet so I'm assuming the stuff was not viable. Granted it's only been a week. I added some ammonia, which is still there so just waiting.

On a side note, anyone ever try to raise fathead minnows? or any minnows? Seems the males are starting to die off, not the females. These were purchased in a bait shop. No ammonia, nitrites or nitrates are detectable.
Do males often die after spawning? Have no idea on the age of them either. Maybe 1.5" long.

Or what section would I ask?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Hello; Interesting difference of opinion.
Under low pH and low temperature, BB can go dormant. As long as it stays above a minimum, they can live for an extensive period. Under simply famine conditions they will die.

The difference is that cells can recover under some conditions, but not others.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Under low pH and low temperature, BB can go dormant. As long as it stays above a minimum, they can live for an extensive period. Under simply famine conditions they will die.

The difference is that cells can recover under some conditions, but not others.
Hello; Thanks for the further input. As usual the devil in in details. I gather that the OP's bb did not fit this criteria.

Reactions: HoundsNTrout

HoundsNTrout

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Tug Hill NY
www.Adirondackkennel.com
Thanks guys. Yes it is hard to know. The media was sitting wet ( non aerated or circulated ) in basement at 50 to 60 degrees. So who knows.

My main focus is trout and lots of them, so things are a little different here. I change water daily regardless at 25% total volume. We have switched over to the snow fencing as media since it seems to be doing the best job for me at the moment compared to others. The filters are 55G drums and using sumps at 2500 GPH, along with DIY airstones and bottom circulators to give a little more current for the fish to swim in. All kept at 55 to 65 in Summer and 50 to 55 in Winter.

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
I'm interested in the ceramic type of media. Where can I find photos of it? Is it in sheets? Balls? Thanks.
There are TON's of different kinds, some more popular than others, but they generally all work well to some degree. I use Eheim Substrat Pro and Pond matrix, and pot scrubbers, but only because I bought some of them(substrat pro) YEARS/decade ago. Back THEN, it was considered the best..LOL, and I fell for the HYPE.

I'm almost sure ANY of the cheaper ones would work as well. Don't feel like you have to spend a fortune and get the highest priced kind, go for a more decent priced type if on a budget, but if you don't mind spending, heck go with cermedia marine pure. Just don't believe half of the stuff they say on the box. It will NOT promote major denitrification unless you meet certain circumstances/requirements and you have a TON of the media it with LOW FLOW.

Just remember, all this stuff is just allowing bacteria to grow on it, produce a bio film. It's not rocket science, it's just NATURE in an enclosed ecosystem.

Google/Bing is your freind:

https://encrypted.google.com/search..._8_UAhUKfiYKHR-lBJMQ_AUIBygC&biw=1366&bih=591

Hope this Helps, your mileage and experiences may vary

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store