How Long Have You Been Fishkeeping...

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
I ain`t that good with fish, kept goldfish for about three years, they died not long ago and planning to get a nice aquarium with neon tetras.
well then you came to the right place to learn... ask questions.. get answers .. then set up.. do not buy any fish until your ready...that is my advice..have patience and you will be a great fishkeeper now that you are among the best teachers..

dzjr1188

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2011
allentown, pa
Have kept "fish" for 20 ish years but havnt been serious about them until the last 5. and finally able to afford the bigger tanks. I am actually planning a addition to the house just for 2 fish tanks (both over 5,000gal). One fresh and one salt.... i need to win the lottery and it should speed up the process.

jadedreams

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2011
Oklahoma
Umm, about 25 years (yikes) - since I was a kid lol.. Though I have never ventured into saltwater - just like to keep things fresh. Feel like there is always more to learn, as for IQ, um the square root of i ?

DaniiloC

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
My first fish was a Betta with 5 years old. Than, my first 'real tank' was with 9 years old...I'm 18 now... 13 years keeping fish ! =D

Piicklez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Midlands, England.
I had a 10 gallon when i was 9 for about 6 months but all my fish always died.. I came back in february, being 15, with goldfish in the same 10 gallon, then I got a 30 gallon a month later, then an oscar, sevrum and plec, then a 120 a few months later, then a 180 the other week. It's a shame, I cant fit anything bigger in to my bedroom, a 6x2x2 was very heavy and could hardly fit up the stairs, so who knows whats next. If my dad let me and if it was possible to fit i would love a 10x3x3. my lfs has one and its a good sized tank :D.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Well, i started when I was 8 with a 20 gallon goldfish tank and I just celebrated my 43rd bday, so about 35 years or so. i took a short break while I went to college, but missed it dearly. I honestly think I'm a fish keeper for life. I get very depressed without fish around.

I've kept lots of different fish. Goldfish as a kid, large saltwater eels and triggers as a young adult and now cichlids and loricariids in my 40's. I suppose triggers and loricariids would be considered my specialty fish, but I wouldn't consider myself an expert nor have i learned everything there is to know. Funny thing is, the deeper i dive into the hobby, the more there is to learn, but thats part of the enjoyment of the hobby for me. i love learning about new species, breeding practices, filtration setups, you name it.

Most recently, I've started a new Mbuna community and am setting up an L46 breeding project in our garage. And once again, it's time to go study.......

COG Commando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
West Bend, WI
I've been aquaria keeping for 19 years, but I still have ridiculous amounts to learn. I feel somewhat saddened that I'll never learn it all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store