How long to cycle seeded wet/dry filter?

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
I have just built a trickle(wet/dry) filter for my 4x2x2 tank. The tank is well established and has been filtered by a Fluval 403 canister filter.

I am currently running the new wet/dry filter along side the existing canister filter until it is properly colonised by the beneficial bacteria. I'm wondering how long it will be before I can remove the canister filter and just run the new wet/dry? ie. how long before the wet/dry is colonised sufficiently to act as the only filter?

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
im sure someone will know for sure but doesnt the bacteria live everywhere.. in the gravel water and filter.. so i think if you just take the filter off and put the new filter on it should be ok.. but dont take my word wait for someone that knows for sure.

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
I'm pretty sure the bacteria needs to establish itself in the filter media(bio balls) before any real biological filtration can occur in the filter. In a brand new tank this can take 4-6 weeks for whole process, but with an established tank its a lot quicker but I'm just not sure how quick!

I would expect probably at least a week but am wondering if anyone has a better idea?

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
there's no real way to say how fast the colony of bacteria would establish.. the only way to make sure is to use test kits and measure your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.. i would say 2 weeks would be enough then remove the canister and check your water parameters in a daily basis to be sure.. when you get 0 ammonia and presence of nitrates after a week when the canister filters taken out, your tanks cycled :)

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
kido said:
there's no real way to say how fast the colony of bacteria would establish.. the only way to make sure is to use test kits and measure your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.. i would say 2 weeks would be enough then remove the canister and check your water parameters in a daily basis to be sure.. when you get 0 ammonia and presence of nitrates after a week when the canister filters taken out, your tanks cycled :)
I would agree... I think how many and how big they fish are would have a lot to do with it.

Keep in mind that you can take 1/2 your filter media out of your tank to "seed" another tank without hurting anything.

So the answer is we don't really know because I've nerver heard of a test kit for good bacteria.

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
hmmm the sump only has a single bio-ball chamber, the canister filter has filter wool, carbon and a gravel type medium - none of which are really compatible with my sump filter :(

I might remove some of the filter wool from the canister and place it on the drip tray of the sump filter, it might speed things up a bit!? I want to try and get rid of this canister filter asap coz it makes a very annoying rattle! :swear:

sohfatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
S'pore
Oic.. the rattling proly comes from the impeller shaft being out of place or damaged. Sometimes if you just dismantle the pump head and wash the impeller it will be ok. The substrate type of filter meduim can be use in sump filters by placing them in the second compartment after the bioball compartment or also below it in the submerged portion of the sump. Bio balls will work efficiently only if they are exposed to air so u can use the substrate type of filter medium in the submerged parts.

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
..yeah the canister filter has rattled for a long time now - I have pulled it part and cleaned it many times but it must be damaged because the rattle never goes away. The canister filter is not big enough to cope with my tank anyway so I decided to build my own sump system to replace it.

Unfortunately I only built the single bio-ball compartment into the sump so no other compartments to store media in. I'll see what I can do - heading home from work now to play with it!

Thanks for the help guys...

sohfatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
S'pore
Looks like u just have to wait then... average time needed for a filter to mature is probably 3 to 4 weeks. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store