How long until a fire eel outgrows a 180/220?

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
This is for a future tank plan. I've always wanted a fire eel. I've read that 180 is the "minimum" that you should consider for one but have also read people who say that their eel outgrew the 180 and they were really happy to upgrade.

I typically see these guys for sale at smaller sizes. Can those with experience tell me how long (# years, size) it took for yours to outgrow a tank that size?

I'd appreciate any input.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I'd say 2.5 to 3 years.

Reactions: Chub_by and magpie

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I don't think it ever would as long as you have good filtration and water parameters, mine is over 18 inches and can still turn around within a 6 inch diameter hollow bamboo, he is active and cruises around my 360 gallon tank and I don't think he would be cramped in a 220 as long as not massively stocked, I bought him from a bloke with a 120 gal and he was big in that but he had massively overstocked it, mine shares the space with a large stingray and a small tigrinus. It has constant drip and 100 gallon sump.

My aim is a 6x4.5 (front to back) and 2 high top to bottom but that is luxury. Design is being done now.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I think that a 220 could potentially house some fire eels for life. I say this because adult fire eels have a range of adult sizes. Some only get to 24" and some get 40" or more. From the research I've seen, I would say that they probably average about 30". Because they are so flexible, I think that a 30" fire eel is ok in a 24" wide tank, as long as you can keep the water conditions under control. If the fish gets beyond the 30" mark though, they will probably need a larger tank.

My two oldest fire eels I have had about a year and a half. I got them at 4" and the larger one is up to about 17".

Reactions: magpie

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
There was a 40 incher owned by an old memeber. It can be achieved. The fish was in a 720g of my old brain remembers right.

Reactions: magpie

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Thanks guys, this information is super helpful.

I don't want to cramp a fish. If I can keep one for a couple years at least in that size tank, I might consider it - that gives me time. They're a dream fish of mine but I don't want to be selfish getting one. I hate the mentality of getting a fish just cuz you want one, but without having the capacity of truly caring for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store