How long?

KBMack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2015
United Kingdom
£130 is cheap, where in the UK are you, I'm way down in Kent!-)

I think he said a 180g for an Oscar and I agree that that's a suitable size, for it to comfortable with a few tank mates.
If you want to cram 16" heavy tall bodied fish into 4' tanks then you need to expect to get flamed on here, we arnt in the 1990's anymore, things have moved on and 180g are cheap.
I`m in Edinburgh m8, picked it up from a guy in Mayfield.

BTW, @OP truly sorry for derailing your thread. Your fish is beautiful, going to be uploading a video of my 240 gallon tank I have a 12 inch Quetzal hope you check it out and once again my apologies.
It`s cl, i don`t think there`s many question`s that are`t going to throw up a difference of opinion. Yeah i`ll check it out.

This will be short term also. I`m looking out for a tank of the same size or bigger and going to move the central`s into it and keep that one as a southy.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Well if you want don't want to take a what people on this forum think is the best size tank for a fish based on their knowledge then here's information from a large aquarium curator at a zoo. Basically, on average, the fish's total length should not be more than 75% of the inner width of the tank for a minimum tank size. So a 16" fish should not be kept in a tank for life if the outside of the tank width is 18". It's not like Jay Hemdal hasn't had experience with monster fish.

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/201...-aquarium-needed-for-a-given-species-of-fish/

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Well if you want don't want to take a what people on this forum think is the best size tank for a fish based on their knowledge then here's information from a large aquarium curator at a zoo. Basically, on average, the fish's total length should not be more than 75% of the inner width of the tank for a minimum tank size. So a 16" fish should not be kept in a tank for life if the outside of the tank width is 18". It's not like Jay Hemdal hasn't had experience with monster fish.

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/201...-aquarium-needed-for-a-given-species-of-fish/
great read that should be stickied somewhere

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

KBMack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2015
United Kingdom

It`s not in the 18" anymore it`s in a 6x2x2 now. Cheers for the extra info tho.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
It`s not in the 18" anymore it`s in a 6x2x2 now. Cheers for the extra info tho.
I think it appears your trying to do the right thing.
I'm guessing that article was for the benifit of other so called participants of this thread that obviously lack knowledge and empathy for captive animals.
Bigger is always better and no one will ever be criticised for having a tank that is too big.

Thank you Rocksor for posting that article.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk

Thanks, good read. Not sure I agree with captive fish only reaching 75% size of the fish listed on fishbase though, certainly a lot of sa/.ca cichlids seem to out grow wild counterparts.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thanks, good read. Not sure I agree with captive fish only reaching 75% size of the fish listed on fishbase though, certainly a lot of sa/.ca cichlids seem to out grow wild counterparts.
I thought that too. Quite a lot of fish get bigger in captivity than they do in the wild.
Mbuna spring to mind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store