how many Bichirs in one tank ?????

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
I was wondering how many of the smaller species bichirs, senegal and delhezi primarilly could I have in my 100 gallon tank, ive seen lots of pics of different species and multiple Bichirs in one tank and would like to have a few, maybe a pair of each of the two species, anyway your opinions would be of great help

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Like Street asked what are the dimensions of the tank? Remember bichirs need length and width,water depth is not that important.But generally in a 100 gallon tank you should be able to keep a pair of senegals and delhezis.-Anne

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
thanks, I already knew I could only keep the smaller 12-15 inch species, the tank is 15 inches wide and 6 feet long, 24 inches tall but that isnt really important. Right now im not planning to have any tankmates with them, if so IM gonna try to get some medium to large top dwelling fish, I had a couple cichlids in there with the one senegal I have now and man do I hate cichlids. I removed them, they were chasing everyone around and making the Bichir very stressed out. Now it will just be a challenge finding specimens the same size since I already have one at around 6 inches, but anyway, thanks for the imput

Alien

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
Vienna, Austria
You can hold quite a number of bichirs in a tank of that size, You just have to provide enough hidingspots for them.

There is no problem in combining delhezis with senegalus. I have the same in one tank, and its no problem. But I would not put them together with an ornatipinnis.

I had ornatipinnis myself, they reached near 20inch after 13 years and where quite agressive (a friend said: not agressive, but creative in finding food). They will outgrow the delhezis and senegalus and one day, they will eat them. They are also faster feeders, so the smaller ones might have trouble of getting enough food.

BG
Thomas

ancientfishfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The two ornates I have seem to like to have a little area that they consider their own. Each is in a different tank with at least one other bichir. If the other bichir wants to join them in their spot they'll get nipped at. Nothing worse than torn fins.

A couple senegal, retropinnis, delhezi, palmas, and ziare green would make for a nice group in that 100. An ornate and weeksi could be kept for a while since they seem to grow slow. I would have no problem throwing 8-10 of these small bichirs in your tank with appropriate filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store