How many Discus?

diggler81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2010
ct
How many Discus can I safely have in a 125 gallon tank? And can I keep a Arrowana w/them?

reticstingray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2013
Oakland Gardens, New York
You can have about maximum ten discus in a 125 gallon tank with them being comfortable living together. Arowana is a no because they can't live in such a small tank as a 125. Even if you get a larger tank your discus will have no chance suriving against a arowana. Not many fish can live with an arowana unless it is a huge tank.

Discus Origins

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2012
Florida
forum.simplydiscus.com
What kind of filtration system will you be setting up and what size discus are you asking about? Both would be significant factors in answering your question.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Yah 125g is eventually going to be too small for arowana. However silver or black arowana and discus are easily kept together in the proper sized tank.

moneygetter1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2005
NYC
:popcorn: I would estimate 10 to 12 adults is sufficient for a 125g tank. Would advise against the arowana if you're trying to max out Discus. The adult arowana will need more room in a very short time. If you double the tank size, I believe they could co-exist. Both the silver & black hail from the Rio Negro in the Amazon so water parameters not a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store