How many polypterus

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I have a 46 gallon that currently is housing a Lapradei, and ornatipinnis. They are both around eight inches. I was wondering how many more (if possible) polypterus I could add. This tank will be their home for about another six months till I can upgrade to a 120 or 180. Thanks for the help

clare

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Grimsby, England
The problem is that both species that you have are the lower jaw type and subsequently in the larger of the type,although realistically neither should grow above 18" in the aquarium.The reason I say problem is that they will outgrow any smaller ones twice as fast so your options are limited.If you will be upgrading for sure within 6 months another 2 would be limit assuming good filtration.By that time two you have got should be 12-14".Check this site for info http://www.polypterus.info/

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
go with the 180 Gallon 72x24x24 better foot print for the bichirs(if you can).To correct something P.ornatipinnis is upperjaw species and P.lapradei is lowerjaw.Interesting choice you have there large upper and small lower jaw.both should reach 18-20 inches.Also your persent bichirs should be nearing the end their initial growth spurt so growth on them should be slowing .The problem I see is finding bichirs 6-8inches already anything smaller could be viewed as a meal.All that said you might be able to add two more but you'll definately be needing a bigger tank within 6 months and monitor the tank for agression-Anne
P.wweksi or P.delhezi would be nice just a thought

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Thank you for the info I appreciate it. If I went with adding two what do you think of Polypterus palmas buettikoferi and at a similiar size. Also I like the Polypterus weeksii, but would one pushing seven inches be all right. Thanks again for the help.

Sorry I am pretty new at this what is the difference between posting a "new reply" or a "quick reply"

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
The only problems with a P.p.palmas is actually finding one as most are really P.p.polli's and the eventual size difference involved figure 12'' for the polli versus 18-20inches + for the others i tend to err on the side of caution-Anne

new reply lets you add pictures
quick reply is text only

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store