how many tiger barbs for 50 gallon?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
If you keep adding more, I think they will continue to pick each other off until you provide them with more room/bigger tank.
I actually did this exact thing many years ago with a 55g. Started with a dozen, added a dozen more later...no matter how many they eventually dwindled to a group of 5-7, always with the largest dominant pair leading and doing the killing. Ivs had similar experience with rainbow fish in undersized tanks.

Reactions: djsaltynuts

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
If you keep adding more, I think they will continue to pick each other off until you provide them with more room/bigger tank.
I actually did this exact thing many years ago with a 55g. Started with a dozen, added a dozen more later...no matter how many they eventually dwindled to a group of 5-7, always with the largest dominant pair leading and doing the killing. Ivs had similar experience with rainbow fish in undersized tanks.
this is my experience so far i was trying to save my original tiger barb who made it to about 4” but he was killed 2 nights ago so honestly if this is the general consensus ill just stop restocking the school. personally i think a 50 gallon (a slightly bigger footprint than a 55) is big enough for tiger barbs but everytime i add tigerbarbs theyre like an eighth the size of the rest and the bigger ones dont interact with the smaller the same as eachother so the aggression stays high within the core group(5-7). in your opinion what is the minimum tank size for tigerbarbs? because id probably say between 25g-30g or are you saying the tank is too small for the tigerbarbs because of the other fish in the tank?

Reactions: Backfromthedead

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
ive also heard that an aggressive male(which will break out in aggression when the school gets too small) should be culled because they never lose the murderous trait and that it can be passed down genetically. my tigerbarbs dont pick eachother off very fast either. i havent been buying over 12 because they cost $4.5 which is ridiculous imo. 15 is the minimum school size where theyll stop picking eachother off from what ive heard. ill buy them and either lose the ones i bought immediately due to size or one will die every other month til i get down to about 6 and it goes downhill quick from there. i think my core group is settling down because there is no longer the one massive dominant tiger barb.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I can confirm from experience that 8 tiger barbs is too small of a group. I lost all but 1 in the course of 1 month in a 5 foot 110g tank

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
One is to many in my estimation and experience :grinyes:

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I can confirm from experience that 8 tiger barbs is too small of a group. I lost all but 1 in the course of 1 month in a 5 foot 110g tank
what amount would you recommend for a healthy social dynamic? i currently have 13 but im aiming for atleast 15.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
does anyone know why the fishkeepingworld care sheet says to keep no less than 8 and no more than 12? just they figure itd be in a smaller tank? or is there any other reason why i shouldnt add more?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
does anyone know why the fishkeepingworld care sheet says to keep no less than 8 and no more than 12? just they figure itd be in a smaller tank? or is there any other reason why i shouldnt add more?
Probably just figuring it’s a small tank without enough territory.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store