How much air do I need to fluidize media ?

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
I have 120l k1 micro in a 120gal sump and use 60lpm air pump and works great. It's also enough to aerate display tank too.

I use a hailea v60 pump which is cheap, and very quiet.
Thx. Would you care to show a picture of that setup? How do you contain the media? Thx

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
What are you using to actually fluidize it? Bubblers? How many of them are you running?
I am gluing a spraybar together today. A friend suggested big bubbles to make the media turnover nicely.

I have a "small" 950 gph pump i will start offwiyh and see how it rolls....:)

Itshould be almost perfect according to the above poster. I have 2 ft.³ which is about 56 liters. It looks like the pump moves about 60 lpm. A match made in heaven.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Can the media be moving too much?

I made a spray bar today. Not sure how it will work. Makes nice big bubbles in the pond. I need to change my baffles and get my media in and we can give it a text run.

I will also try five 2" round syones as noted abouve and see which works better.

If i make more pvc spray bars im gonna need more air.

1000ninja

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 4, 2017
Can the media be moving too much?

I made a spray bar today. Not sure how it will work. Makes nice big bubbles in the pond. I need to change my baffles and get my media in and we can give it a text run.

I will also try five 2" round syones as noted abouve and see which works better.

If i make more pvc spray bars im gonna need more air.
I was wondering that myself even tho I would rather have it as low as possible to reduce noise.

I'm using these for the one I'm putting together now tho

IMG_5677.JPG

Reactions: eddiegunks

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
I was wondering that myself even tho I would rather have it as low as possible to reduce noise.

I'm using these for the one I'm putting together now tho

View attachment 1265297
I've used them before and found not that great unless you actually drill small holes in them. Poking the holes with a needle etc doesn't make a large enough hole to fluidise

1000ninja

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 4, 2017
I've used them before and found not that great unless you actually drill small holes in them. Poking the holes with a needle etc doesn't make a large enough hole to fluidise
I used a thumb tac and it's worked great so far

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Jez1992 Jez1992

I made this for my sump. It is 12x18 inches. The openings are 4x12

Do you all think that it will flow 4000gph or should i cut some biggerholes in the mesh?

I am going to silicone this into the sump. I'm also going to silicone a few bumpers in there. This way if my mesh ever breaks I could reach and cut this one out and slide a new one in to sit alongside the bumpers. I probably do not need to silicone this in but I will do it just to add a little stregth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store