Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
6 ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
11-20%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Unfortunately it looks like the diseased dwarf chain loaches I bought, returned, and was unable to quarantine left behind some of their white spotted disease.

To treat it I will be going with the pinned method outlined already (https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/one-proven-way-to-treat-ich-ick.20681/), but it fails to address at just what doses and how often the salt should be administered.

So for those who have done this method successfully, how much of the total salt did you add at once and how often did you add it?
Thanks in advance for the advice as this is my first time treating white spotted disease with salt.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I added 3ppt-4ppt of salt and maintained that amount at least 10 days of no more visible ich (~3+ weeks total since infection first spotted). I always dose 1/3 dosage on day 1, next 1/3 dosage on day 2, and final 1/3 dosage on day 3. Each day I slowly add the dosage for that day over an 8 hour period or more, every couple of hours. Or you can make a DIY Drip system

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Similar info in here

Salt and heat worked perfectly for me. The ich will start to look worse by 6 days and then begin to go away. All was gone 10 days in, exactly as expected.
First I did 1 tbsp per gallon, and then a day later repeated, if I remember correctly. That got it up to around 3 ppt.
My loaches tolerated the salinity just fine! And it killed algae as a bonus!

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
My loaches tolerated the salinity just fine!
Great to hear! If small scaled loaches could handle it, neons likely could too.
1 tbsp/gallon works out to about 430 mL of salt for the 110 liter, in which I'll follow the guidelines given here for adding over time.
Progress will be reported as I go.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I will mention that I used iodized table salt, different salts can dissolve differently.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Just added the first 1/9 of the salt. To my surprise there were no outward adverse reactions from any of the neons, even those that ended up right where the saltwater was being dumped.
I hope they'll continue to handle it as well as they are.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
All of the salt added, and temperature raised to 28.6 degrees (as that's the highest the heater could go). Now to wait 2 weeks, while replenishing salt with water replacements.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Treatment finished.

Lost all the neons and some of the green neons to either the whitespot or treatment:cry:
But 10 green neons did survive ?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Yes! I actually forgot about the neon disease because of the whitespot.
The neons were dropping like flies from it right before the whitespot, so it probably played some role.

But as sad as it is, with the passing of the neons I hopefully won't have to deal with anymore neon disease.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store