how much does a giant tank cost?

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Ok well first off it’s nice to see another 17 year old that’s into fish.
Second, I truly don’t think that a 3 meter width is needed for any of those fish.
Third, you can actually get giant “tanks” made and sometimes even shipped to you depending on where you live. Talk to thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter about his 4,500 gallon tanks.
Fourth, I would also talk to A arapaimag since he built a 15,000 gallon and a 50,000 gallon tank himself.
Fifth, I would go to the diy section of this site and take a few days or even weeks to go and look through the threads. There have been a respectable number of threads showing people building huge tanks.
Sixth, I’m overjoyed that someone my age is into it but just remember to take your time in this hobby. You have your entire life ahead of you to keep fish.
I got you beat at 16.:headbang2

• Haha
Reactions: fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well neko1 neko1 , have the answers so far helped?

Reactions: neko1

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
The cheapest quote I got for a custom acrylic tank, 1" thick with 96"x65"x32" was $8,000USD Shipped. That doesn't cover a stand ($1,500 for metal), filtration ~$1500 for an Ultima II, substrate/decor/background. Just the physical tank itself is $10,000. Then you've got to stock the tank and if you like nice fish, they cost money.......I did math last night on the value of fish in my tanks and I gasped. Running big tanks, and owning fish that get large is not a cheap endeavor. Obviously you can get it cheaper, but that was cheapest brand new out of the box for me to get. Long story short, I'm going to do another plywood build (which is half the fun anyhow).
When I was a kid my dad helped me build a plywood tank. It was a great experience and the tank worked fine. I think it's a great idea for a first timer. Save a lot of money and you can build pretty big tanks!

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
When I was a kid my dad helped me build a plywood tank. It was a great experience and the tank worked fine. I think it's a great idea for a first timer. Save a lot of money and you can build pretty big tanks!
The engineering is half the fun of the hobby. My next build is my final build for a while for sure. Mainly because I can't really BUILD a bigger tank in my house. Lol

Reactions: LBDave

Asianbucketbrigade

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2018
Tanks are indeed expensive, and while we want the best care for our fish in terms of tank size, there's no need to go so overkill, especially if it hinders you from getting the fish you want. The only fish That may be an issue in that list is he cat, but barely, the rest of those fish would live perfectly happily in a tank with a 36" depth, which is obtainable with many used large acrylic tanks you could buy on craigslist or MFK or your local fish store for under 1500(on the high side). It just takes patience.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
You have great ambition. Are you currently keeping any fish?
Right now im keeping a 750liter tank, a 1,2m hillstream tank and a shrimp tank.

Thanks for all the information
Maybe I will do something like Diy king did, doesnt seem so expensive to build such a pond in your house.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Sounds ambitious! If you'll be moving out after school like most teens then what will you do with a pond like this? Or are you already sorted?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Sounds ambitious! If you'll be moving out after school like most teens then what will you do with a pond like this? Or are you already sorted?
Well, first i wanna travel and just relax for some time. After that maybe i will take a study. The pond is just theoretical for now. I was just interested in the cost of electricity and heating.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Ah gotcha bud. I will be cutting down to one 60cm tank and possibly a 45cm while I study, what are your plans? :)

A pond would probably be the easiest way to go cost wise.

Reactions: neko1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store