how much longer?

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
well my fish got ich and started to die off while i was gone... luckyly i have 2 left and i raised the water tem to 88 and added salt... my tank wasent cycled fully but my bros tank broke so i tossed hsi fish in mine.....

I've had my tank up and running for 4 weeks and its still not cycled.... considering theres fish and ich in there how much longer should i wait till i can actully add fish? i understand i should wait till the ich is completely gone but i wana know when i should start to add my sexy fish i want :nilly:

ZOO YORK 207

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2006
Frederick, MD
i would definatly wait untill the ich is gone my fish just had ich like 4 days ago. 2 little peacock bass had no chance to live:cry:. i tryed to save a couple from my LFS but they didnt live. i would recommend doing a water change and vacuum the gravel because that is where the ich lives i got rid of my ich in 2 days.

hope it works

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
thanks... when my ich is gone im gona clean the gravel and take out some of my live plants considering i ddont like them anyway then im gona add some salt and lower the temp 4* then wait a week and do a water change /gravel clean again befor adding fish i hope this works :cool-1:

sly2kusa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2006
USA
I'm preparing an Ich treatment this up coming Wednesday (waiting on the arrival of some salt and the right timing for these spots to drop off the fins of my fish).

I'm raising the temp from 67 to 75 degrees - adding salt - and using a product by Mardel called Maracide Concentrate. It is listed for both Ich and Velvet (along with other external parasites).

The salt is going to become a regular part of my weekly water changes by whatever measure it recommends for my 90g. I am also going to introduce Garlic into my tank (and my 15g feeder as well).

Hopefully this will aide my fishes in both health, and lessen the chances of another outbreak. I wish I would have known this back when I first started my tank up, but 90g's took just a hair over 2 months to cycle - using a fish-in cycle (gold fish feeders and guppy feeders).

I will do a fishless cycle on the 15g, but you should definitely wait until both the Ich is gone and your cycle is complete before adding your sexy fish.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Wait until the the ich is gone. The stress of being in a bag from the petstore to your house will give the new ich for sure. Probably to late to do now, but when your brothers tank broke, if his tank was already cycled you should have added his filter to your tank, it would have speeded up the process.

The best ich treatment if what you are doing. Heat and salt is the way to go. It averages about 10 days for it to clear up with this treatment, but may take longer. When I do the ich treatment, I like to go 90*F in the tank. Just make sure you have plenty of airation.

Also, once the ich is gone, don't add fish until the tank is cycled. You shouldn't add any fish until it is cycled.

Oh also, I have found that if you keep the temp 80*F or above you won't get ich, or at least I haven't for the past 7 years.

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
it was set up for 4 weeks and i thought it was cycled but i guess not... cuz when the fish got ick i did a water check and my amonia and nitrite and nitrate where up... and my ph was about 7.8-8.0 wich is good... but im getting a 20 gallon tank just for feeders sunday... But ill be doing a 50% water change every month considering i dont have much free time... and when i do that i will add 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons and im keeping my water at about 86 so i hope this will prevent ich...

ZOO YORK 207

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2006
Frederick, MD
thanks... when my ich is gone im gona clean the gravel and take out some of my live plants considering i ddont like them anyway then im gona add some salt and lower the temp 4* then wait a week and do a water change /gravel clean again befor adding fish i hope this works :cool-1:
your welcome it should clear it up within a few days you might want to wash your filter off and if you are going to put your plants back in wash them off too..........o yeah if you have any decorations wash them off in warm water to kill the ich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store