How much tiger barns in a 40 gallon breeder

Benthebassmaster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2021
How much tiger barns could I put in a 40 gallon breeder. It would just be cool to have a tank for a single species schooling fish that would act like piranhas.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Barbs? I'd say 10-12. Make sure you have plenty of hiding places or line of sight breaks such as wood or fake plants. Tiger barbs will eat live plants. They are pretty aggressive as it seems you know. I don't think they will act quite like piranha other then the feeding frenzy on fish food, and being mean to each other. I'd say depending on water parameters you may be able to do exodon tetras but it's hit or miss with these in smaller tanks, they also beat on each other. They also need lower ph softer water for good health long term then the mass produced barbs that come from rivers with higher fluctuating water parameters already.

Reactions: Bbuckley

Yuki-Rihwa

Candiru
MFK Member
May 23, 2020
A Place On Earth
If you want single species fish tank then I would say go for Exodon Paradoxus take a look as my mini tank setup just don't go crazy on bio load like my tank (it's bad example for most folks).

Reactions: twentyleagues

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Exos are better in a 4 ft tank.
I would say pack the tigers like you would exodons, at least 20 to keep them from killing each other.

Reactions: Yuki-Rihwa
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store