How much weight can it hold

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Working on a project and wondering how much weight the top of a 75 gallon tempered glass aquarium top can hold long term.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Unless you give more info, impossible to attempt good suggestions. Technically, it is not meant to hold more than minimum weight, such as a glass cover and a light. If placed (whatever the item is) along all 4 edges on top, more weight is possible, but still not designed for that.
All that said, I have seen cramped fish rooms where 10-20g tanks rest across larger tanks. Not my practice but people do it. Good luck.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Unless you give more info, impossible to attempt good suggestions. Technically, it is not meant to hold more than minimum weight, such as a glass cover and a light. If placed (whatever the item is) along all 4 edges on top, more weight is possible, but still not designed for that.
All that said, I have seen cramped fish rooms where 10-20g tanks rest across larger tanks. Not my practice but people do it. Good luck.
Yea sorry I should have included more information. I’m currently trying to figure out all what I need to attempt this but I’m wanting to start a large naturalistic ant colony and since I only ever use one of the lids on my fish tank I’m wondering if I can place a say terrarium ontop of the other side. Another possibility that I thought of is in my fish tank stand there’s a door on either side and in the middle is 2 cubbies to put stuff in separated by a shelf, could I possibly saw off the saw to make room for a 22” tall enclosure? The shelf looks like it’s just been glued into place so I don’t think it would effect the integrity of the stand

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I wouldn't place any item of weight over 5 lbs. on the glass lids.

Is you ant colony enclosure going to be made of plastic, glass or some other material?

You could put the ant enclosure on top of the aquarium frame or you could put a piece of sturdy wood on top of the aquarium frame and put the ant enclosure on top of that.

I would NOT remove any part of the stand, including the shelf, as it was designed specifically to support the aquarium and to provide a stable stand.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I wouldn't place any item of weight over 5 lbs. on the glass lids.

Is you ant colony enclosure going to be made of plastic, glass or some other material?

You could put the ant enclosure on top of the aquarium frame or you could put a piece of sturdy wood on top of the aquarium frame and put the ant enclosure on top of that.

I would NOT remove any part of the stand, including the shelf, as it was designed specifically to support the aquarium and to provide a stable stand.
1270D6B8-B91A-49DD-AC7F-21B17DC572F2.png
I’m thinking of going with this tank and filling it with 4-6” loamy soil. ( assuming it would be light enough to be sat ontop of a bit of plywood ontop of the frame and then the tank ontop of that, otherwise I’ll go smaller.)

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
It should be fine as long as the plywood spans the aquarium trim from the tank end to the tank middle brace OR you can set the ant tank perpendicular on the aquarium so the short end is facing the front end of the aquarium. It will overhang the 75G tank a bit placed that way since the 75G is probably 18" wide and if you aren't careful walking or working around the tank, you may end up knocking the ant tank over.

Don't you have a 48" long light fixture on the 75G tank? I can't remember what lights you have.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
To late to edit my post above but what species of ant are your thinking of getting? Double check that screen lid will keep them in the tank as most ants can climb glass surfaces.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
To late to edit my post above but what species of ant are your thinking of getting? Double check that screen lid will keep them in the tank as most ants can climb glass surfaces.
I checked and the mesh looks like it’s small enough, I’ll also be putting Vaseline around the top inside to help prevent any escapes. I’m not sure on the species yet, it’ll be atleast January until I can buy the ants but I mainly just need to wait for a nest ready colony to get in stock because right now it’s all sold out. I’m hoping I can get a hold of camponotus sexguttatus

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
It should be fine as long as the plywood spans the aquarium trim from the tank end to the tank middle brace OR you can set the ant tank perpendicular on the aquarium so the short end is facing the front end of the aquarium. It will overhang the 75G tank a bit placed that way since the 75G is probably 18" wide and if you aren't careful walking or working around the tank, you may end up knocking the ant tank over.

Don't you have a 48" long light fixture on the 75G tank? I can't remember what lights you have.
So my lights are set up really weird, I really need to fix it. But I have 2 different types of, one on each side of the tank and the lights are segmented by a wire but the lights are maybe 1” long and just clip onto the rim of the aquarium but my penguin filter is a lot bigger than my ac110 so on that side of the tank I actually just clipped the light beam to the center of the rim.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store