How often do u clean out your canisters?

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
I dont know to much about bio loads and bacteria on the spectrum of fish keeping, so I was wondering for all the canister users, how often do you clean your canisters outs? How often should one replace their canister carbon?

:feedback:

cougar579

Candiru
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
I clean my canister when I notice the flow rate dropping. Other than that leave it. Carbon will only last a couple of days usually.

sohfatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
S'pore
Try not to use carbon unless you are removing medicine or heavy metals from your water. Carbon tends to leech everything back out once they reach saturation point which is usually takes 4 weeks. I clean my canister once every two months. Just change the top filter wool and give the rest of the filter media a slight rinse with aquarium water so as not to kill the BB off.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
sohfatfish said:
Try not to use carbon unless you are removing medicine or heavy metals from your water. Carbon tends to leech everything back out once they reach saturation point which is usually takes 4 weeks. I clean my canister once every two months. Just change the top filter wool and give the rest of the filter media a slight rinse with aquarium water so as not to kill the BB off.
I thought carbon should always be used in your filter to help remove amonia? Are you telling me that its only use is for removing medicine and heavy metals?

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank

Just1nK4ng

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2005
Californa
sohfatfish said:
i agress you want to keep all the good bacteria

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store