How old do goldfish have to be to breed?

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
They are stunted and size matters alot some fish dont become sexually active if they dpmt grow to a sertent size. Do you even know how to get them to spawn.

Sent from my Comet using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bettas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Unknown
Yes I know how to spawn them. I read that if goldfish are kept in a small tank for too long they won't grow to their proper size. Is it true?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I got some last fall at approx 1", they are now 3"-4" and have been constantly spawning all summer in the pond. The males will try to push a gravid female almost out of the water.

Bettas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Unknown
Wow! Your pond is really nice! Thank you for telling me that! I was totally unsure that they might be ill. Are goldfish too fat to jump?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I don't know if fat matters, but in my pond 2 or 3 males chase a female pushing her on top of lilies or other pond plants almost completely out of the water to induce her to spawn. The pond is approx 1000 gallons, and in the spawning they use the entire surface of the pond, in the chase.

I've seen this in lakes where large common carp (2-3ft in length)will push the females into a shallow bay, less than a foot of water to spawn. The water looks like it is boiling with all the activity, because there are always 2 or 3 males to every female.

Bettas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Unknown
My goldfish push eachother and spit water at me. They chase shimmer and ignore star and coral. Is that normal?

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
sounds like they might be trying to spawn but like the op said ive never heard of it being done in an aquarium most the time its done in ponds. and yes thats waht stunted means when a fish is kept in a tank too small for it for too long.

lilpendragon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2012
South Florida
I want to breed my goldfish but I'm not sure if they are old enough. They are the size of a medium sized rock but not big like LFS goldfish. They haven't been growing at all really.. :WHOA:
I'd be more concerned about your guppy problem. I'm starting to wonder if you're just a troll. You DO NOT need to worry about more fish when you can't care for the fish you have.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store