How peaceful/aggressive are Jardini with other big predators?

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
A general question I know but I have never kept one and have started noticing them recently and liking the look of them

I have the likes of a fire eel, big male jag whos very peaceful, florida gar and clown loach in my tank.

Are Jardini the type of fish to be feisty/aggressive ? I know nothing of their temperament

turtles

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
A general question I know but I have never kept one and have started noticing them recently and liking the look of them

I have the likes of a fire eel, big male jag whos very peaceful, florida gar and clown loach in my tank.

Are Jardini the type of fish to be feisty/aggressive ? I know nothing of their temperament
Most of the time jardini tend snap and kill all there tankmates when they reach 12" or 30cm or so , but you sometimes get a jardini that is okay with tank mates not common though , given enough space and hiding places it can work but always a risk
Can you find Saratoga Leichhardti where you are or just the Saratoga jardini? As they both look very similar but the leichardti is much more relaxed then it's jardini cousin and are natives here in Australia

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Most of the time jardini tend snap and kill all there tankmates when they reach 12" or 30cm or so , but you sometimes get a jardini that is okay with tank mates not common though , given enough space and hiding places it can work but always a risk
Can you find Saratoga Leichhardti where you are or just the Saratoga jardini? As they both look very similar but the leichardti is much more relaxed then it's jardini cousin and are natives here in Australia
Thats good to know cheers for that

I may swerve them for now then

Not sure about the Leichhardti but I will look into them

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
I have had multiple jardini. Only ever had 1 that was good with anything else and even she killed a few fish.

The best way I have heard keeping a jardini with other fish is "Do not keep them with any fish you aren't willing to lose".

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I have had multiple jardini. Only ever had 1 that was good with anything else and even she killed a few fish.

The best way I have heard keeping a jardini with other fish is "Do not keep them with any fish you aren't willing to lose".
Great advice cheers for that

Reactions: Damascus

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Does this principle apply to scleropages formosus the likes of the chili red and RTG? Are they as aggressive as the Jardini?

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
Does this principle apply to scleropages formosus the likes of the chili red and RTG? Are they as aggressive as the Jardini?
There's a thread somewhere that provides a general ranking. Jars are the worst by far. I've been told greens are the 2nd worst

Reactions: turtles

turtles

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
I have never kept any species of asian arowana they aren't legal where I am but from what I see online they tend to be good with other fish similar to the leichardti occasionally you get a super aggressive one I'd assume, but just a quick search on YouTube and you see alot of asian arowana community tanks, but again I have no personal experience with these species

Reactions: tlindsey

Alejandro Marquez

Feeder Fish
Nov 28, 2022
Your best bet is to raise one since baby with the other fish you wanna keep I had luck with jardinis like that.( but they may turn aggressive and kill the other fish) They only fish that I seen jardinis ignore has been bottom fish like plecos or sometimes birchirs. They tend to attack evrythign mid level to high level.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store