How should I set this up?

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
I'm planning on getting a 300 gallon behlen stock tank and using this 150 as the sump.

I was going to put the 300 gallon on the floor (or close to it) and put this 150 gallon stock tank slightly above it and use it as a sump.

The sump has four holes. All holes would fit a 1.5" bulkhead. 20200530_162710.jpg
20200530_162706.jpg
I'm not sure if I want to run one pump to the sump and have 4 drains etc, or use one hole as an intake and the others as a drain? Any advice or recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I understand your need to have your 300 and 150 side by side because if your 300 was on a stand and your sump directly underneath, you'd never see your fish because of the absence of viewing panels. Correct?

What i'm not quite getting is your proposal to have the sump elevated and pump water from your display to your sump! Usually overflow from your display is gravity fed to the sump and pumped back to your tank.

If I had tanks like that i'd put my 300 on a stand, not to high that you can't see the fish, and have the 150 sump at the side which would then be lower than your display. Gravity feed into the sump and pump water from the sump back to the display.

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Lots of people have their sump above the display tank. Think about those 1K+ Gallon plywood tanks. Anyways, the pump is in the 300 gallon tub, and it pumps water into your sump, and gravity returns the water.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
What specific advice are you looking for?

If you want it simple you can get filter sock holders pretty much anywhere (or cut your own out of plexiglass), just build a crude stand to put a few inside of the tub with a flow splitter to direct your flow to each one. Then use some egg crate to section off a part of it and use as a k1 moving bed. Then in the last section have some heaters or carbon bags or something if you want them. and then a simple overflow back to your main tub. Doesn't need to be anything special, all of that could be purchased for <$50.

Reactions: BizTodd
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store