How to care for my dinosaur bichir?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I also want to upgrade the looks of his tank so he can feel more in the river then in a kid looking tank. Right now I have black gravel and a few little hiding spots for him but none of them are good or big enough for him
I tried for the river bottom look as well.

Sand, rocks, and fake plants is what i prefer but adding some dw amd real plants will give it a nice natural look.

magpie magpie is the poly sections interior decorator

Maeghan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
Maeghan, welcome to the poly forum. First off you are obviously doing allot right in that you have kept this fish for 6years.

The stickies at the top of the forum are are great place to revisit the basics of Bichir care. They do not require or use a land area, the shallow recommendation is for their air breathing but really a non issue in standard tanks. Just give them room between the top of the water level and your tank top so they do not injury themselves. Foodwise, again the stickies are great info. Coles notes think fish cut up into bite size pieces alternated with a quality pellet like massivoire

Let's see some pics of your "Dinosaur"
So without knowing I did just fill up his tank to the brim but I'm keeping the lid open and keeping a close eye on him so he doesn't jump out at all. The water I put in is a few degrees warmer than what it should be because of the summer heat affecting the cold water here in Georgia, so I'm hoping he's not stressing. Again I'm keeping a close eye on him and hoping he does well. Tuesday my mom and I are going to get the proper food for him and a new filter (the one I have is disgusting). Later I'll look into a more lively tank set up and hopefully add more bichirs; if he doesn't eat them.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
looks female to me =)

Maeghan, welcome to the poly forum. First off you are obviously doing allot right in that you have kept this fish for 6years.

The stickies at the top of the forum are are great place to revisit the basics of Bichir care. They do not require or use a land area, the shallow recommendation is for their air breathing but really a non issue in standard tanks. Just give them room between the top of the water level and your tank top so they do not injury themselves. Foodwise, again the stickies are great info. Coles notes think fish cut up into bite size pieces alternated with a quality pellet like massivoire

Let's see some pics of your "Dinosaur"
Instead of massivore for sens I prefer hikari carnivore sinking pellets they are smaller and mine love it. I'd also save some money and order it from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Sinki...2571&sr=1-1&keywords=hikari+carnivore+pellets

also walmart has the tilapia real cheap I buy 2lbs of individually wrapped frozen fillets for $6 and that lasts me a month and a half and I have 7 bichirs, 3 ropefish, 2 knifefish, a catfish and a pleco that all eat it

Indeed a good looking Sen. Spend any amount of time here and that will not be your only Bichir
soon you will be getting more bigger tanks and more bigger bichirs I know I did. It is an addiction

So without knowing I did just fill up his tank to the brim but I'm keeping the lid open and keeping a close eye on him so he doesn't jump out at all. The water I put in is a few degrees warmer than what it should be because of the summer heat affecting the cold water here in Georgia, so I'm hoping he's not stressing. Again I'm keeping a close eye on him and hoping he does well. Tuesday my mom and I are going to get the proper food for him and a new filter (the one I have is disgusting). Later I'll look into a more lively tank set up and hopefully add more bichirs; if he doesn't eat them.
what temp are you keeping the water at? I like to keep it around 80

Maeghan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
looks female to me =)

Instead of massivore for sens I prefer hikari carnivore sinking pellets they are smaller and mine love it. I'd also save some money and order it from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Sinki...2571&sr=1-1&keywords=hikari+carnivore+pellets

also walmart has the tilapia real cheap I buy 2lbs of individually wrapped frozen fillets for $6 and that lasts me a month and a half and I have 7 bichirs, 3 ropefish, 2 knifefish, a catfish and a pleco that all eat it

soon you will be getting more bigger tanks and more bigger bichirs I know I did. It is an addiction

what temp are you keeping the water at? I like to keep it around 80
Mine is usually good at 72-76. That's what it been at usually.

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Maeghan, I strongly encourage you to get a cover asap for the tank. Bichirs are notorious jumpers and we would hate for you to lose this fish. Nothing worse than waking up to a dried up Bichir on the floor.

Egg crate from your local hardware store is cheap and can be easily trimmed to fit .

image.jpeg

Reactions: jaws7777

Maeghan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
Maeghan, I strongly encourage you to get a cover asap for the tank. Bichirs are notorious jumpers and we would hate for you to lose this fish. Nothing worse than waking up to a dried up Bichir on the floor.

Egg crate from your local hardware store is cheap and can be easily trimmed to fit .

View attachment 1262533
Don't worry I do have a cover. I'm watching my fish now. He hasn't jumped out since I've known him but who knows? Thanks for the advice

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Mine is usually good at 72-76. That's what it been at usually.
most people report that their bichirs are alot more active and seem happier above 80 I have mine at 80 for the other fish

View attachment 1262533
I have lost 2 ropefish to jumping it's not something you want to experience

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store