how to circulate water between tanks

philhawk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
bellevue, ne
i have a 75 gal tank and a 2.5 gal for feeders. im wondering if there is a way to circulate the water between the two tanks. the water in the 2.5 gets so messy (even with a 20 gal filter on it) so quickly. right now im just running hob filters and the tank is tempered. any ideas?

id10t

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Or silicon the small tank inside the big tank, so it is still level. Drill a few small holes in the small tank, put its filter pickup in the big tank and output in the small tank, and it will circulate nicely. Put a male and a bunch of female guppys in it, make your holes small enough that adults dont get thru buy fry do, and you'll have an automatic feeder too :)

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Suspend the small tank over the large one , pump water up to the 2.5g and let it overflow into the 75. Tip the 2.5 a couple of degrees and it will only run out of one side.

Bassman89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2006
Rockin down the Highway USA
easy just get some 1" diameter tubing put one end in both tanks make sure there is no air only water in tubing then plumb a power head from one tank to the other and gravity will keep both tanks at an eqaul water level as long as the tops are level then you will never lose water
:iagree: ..true..simple laws of gravity.....

philhawk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
bellevue, ne
im probably going to try the powerhead solution. guess im afraid of something going wrong and ending up pumping all the water out of my 75 on to the floor while im at work. i dont think the tank in a tank idea will work the greatest in this situation because my clown knife will be able to see them. im using tank for feeder goldfish (2-3" ones) and now with them in a breeder net in the tank my clown knife is attacking it every once and a while. but when he does attack it its with alot of force. still scares the crap out of me when he hits the hood of the tank. i better get a new power head i have a feeling that an ac 70 would be a little too much

arlo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2006
Rowland Heights
treating the 2.5 like a sump would be a good idea. if they are acrylic u can buy a powerdrill attatchment that cuts a 1" diameter hole. then u get two bulkheads and then connect pvc pipe from ur main 75 gallon tank to ur 2.5 gal. get a viaaqua pump to shoot water back into ur 75 gallon by connceting it to tubing and a hook attatchment to keep it from flying all over the place. as long as u dont put too much water in ur tanks, there wont be a problem with flooding. just buy a pump that is weaker than the flow of ur 1" diameter. good luck and post pics if u decide to do it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store