How to clean a planted tank??

OldMarine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
Tacoma, WA
www.picasaweb.google.com
I have a 55 gallon octigon tank in my office at home. It is heavely planted in about three fingers of washed river sand, and some substrate decorations. No filter, 80watt heater, and grow lights. It has been set up now for about three years, and all I have done is partial (25%) water change about three times a year. When I do the water change I clean any left over algae off with a glass scubber.

The inhabitants are 20 neons, 3 cory's, 6 atocinclis (sp), and a dozen ghost shrimp. They all get along just fine, and they seem to compliment each other in this community. So far, I seem to have a good balance in the aquarium.

Rich :)

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
on my planted tanks I do water changes, and remove floating debris . . . but I do not vacuum the gravel

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
Sab_Fan;3798160; said:
on my planted tanks I do water changes, and remove floating debris . . . but I do not vacuum the gravel

Same here

All of the debris that would collect on the bottom turns into plant food. Also most planted tanks fish get fed very lightly so that there is never any uneaten food build up on the bottom.

Alhazred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2009
California
hybridtheoryd16;3798275; said:
Same here

All of the debris that would collect on the bottom turns into plant food. Also most planted tanks fish get fed very lightly so that there is never any uneaten food build up on the bottom.
yep if you throw in a bit of ghost shrimp they help break down missed food a into a form closer to fertalizer hehe

best part is in a tank the right size plants really complete the ammonia cycle as they take in what the bacteria excreates

I have a 54 planted tank with a pleco some small tetras(who will be food) a gara rufa and a ctenopoma

by all means a high waste tank but i only ever need to do water changes once a month and everyone stays happy!!!

i can imagine how hard it would be without plants they look so nice and help so much

gigas12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2008
Boston,Ma.
Hi,balancing food,fishes,plants and lighting gives you the best results,a partial water change when needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store