How to clear water after new gravel added!

aykinhk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2018
Hi all
Just upgraded a new 5x2x2 tank ,and add new gravel 2 weeks ago
New gravel has been rise a long time before add to tank
In this 2 week ,i ve done 3 time water chang, but the water still quite milky
Whats the best way to make water back to cystral clear
If i add api Bio chemi zorb will that be helpful??
Thanks

20200315_152906.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
If that's a newly set up tank with fish already in it, it might not be anything to do with your gravel, it may be a bacterial bloom which is common on newly set up tanks.

You'll have to give more details regarding how you cycled it.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
^what he said. you should have waited that looks like it’s either a bio bloom or leftover food clouding the water. Go buy some microbe night out II and prime and dose it every day as recommended for another 3 weeks. Also do a 50% water change every 3 days and buy a water test kit. Once you have nitrates and 0 ammonia you can treat the tank as normal

aykinhk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2018
What happen is I upgrade tank from 4ft to 5ft, I am using my all old filter and media and equipment that been run for a long time , when I transfer the tank ,I keep the filter running in my other tank, so all bio/ bacteria should still exist
It happen just after I add gravel in.
I have run bare bottom for a week before gravel with no issue at all

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Your bacteria should be fine, but could still be a bloom. Any particulate should have been filtered out or settled by now. You can try using a water polisher or a chemical if it's a bloom though neither will help. Time and leaving it alone will. Just make sure you have good oxygen exchange.
What filter are you using? Does it have a polishing "pad" in it?
Quick easy water polisher=cut the bottom of a water bottle off and cram it full of filter floss, then cram a powerhead on the top of it. Put it in the tank and turn it on the power head will pull the water through the floss and any suspended particulates clearing the water.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It could be some sort of bloom but they usually clear up pretty fast if all's well with your tank. Then again, if your tank was crystal clear the week before you added the gravel, and only became cloudy once your gravel was added, then it could point to your gravel being the culprit. It looks quite a fine gravel, did you rinse it thoroughly? That powerhead looks to be pointing towards your gravel, is it kicking up debris, thus not helping your situation. Do you have fish that dig? Again this won't help if you haven't rinsed your gravel right. They'll disturb fine particles.

And one other thing which isn't going to help you long term in that tank. If that little filter attached to you glass is the only way you are filtering that tank then you could have some issues. I bet turnovers not great, thus reducing the volume of water going through it to be filtered in the first place. And as twentyleagues twentyleagues stated you will need some very fine floss or something in your filter to take out the finest debris.

There's a lot going on, it's difficult to pin point any one cause.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Cloudy water aside, I would confirm that your water parameters are "good" since you did recently set up the new tank, albeit using existing biofilter.

Too much of coincidence water became cloudy soon after adding gravel, but it could be attributed from that AND bacteria bloom - not just one.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
What you described is a heavily seeded new tank. Every water contact surface in the entirety of the old tank was covered with beneficial bacteria. Depending on what you moved over from the old tank (Substrate???) you could have easily lost more then half your bacterial colony.

Like the others said that looks like a bacterial bloom. Did you move over your old gravel and add to it or did you replace all the gravel? Gravel has a lot of surface area hence it houses a lot of bacteria!

I would test your water parameters. Do water changes if any of the parameters are high. Your filter will be a great source of seeding for your new tank but you essentially have a heavily seeded new tank.

Testing water parameters and doing water changes will keep everything healthy until the tank stabilizes (cycles).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store