How to DIY Vertical/Standing Trees?

whatafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2017
Hi all. I am new here. I currently have a 50g glass tank with discus and a mix of freshwater tropical fish. I'd like to create some decor for my new 125g that I'm moving my discus to. I saw Joey from King of DIY utilize this in his tank and I love it. He got his from aqua decor. Obviously, they do an incredible job. I just like the DIY route. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I should go about doing this. I don't want to use concrete. I would like to avoid spending an arm and a leg on expensive putties (sp) and go with something inexpensive like this "Do It Best" epoxy putty that is "NSF certified for use in potable water applications." Thoughts?
upload_2017-10-16_11-7-24.png

This is what I'm shooting for...
upload_2017-10-16_11-4-32.png

whatafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2017
One other thought that had occurred to me is to get differing sizes of PVC pipe, score the outside with vertical lines, and use a heat gun to slightly bend it at varying heights. This would remove the perfectly straight structure and give it a more natural look...

Reactions: J. H. and robham777

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
One other thought that had occurred to me is to get differing sizes of PVC pipe, score the outside with vertical lines, and use a heat gun to slightly bend it at varying heights. This would remove the perfectly straight structure and give it a more natural look...
Some members have been working on pvc logs in this thread, I am sure you could make it work for your project.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/got-bored-with-a-grinder.693745/#post-7819715

Reactions: whatafish

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I agree with W whatafish , but if it says safe for potable water, it should be safe for fish. That is the rule I go by anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store