How to do you become an admin

Luke tomkinson

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2019
In an arapaima
www.youtube.com
Just out of intrest i was wondering how people become admins is their a certain level you have to be intrested because i have loads of time on my hands in quarantine!!

Reactions: jjohnwm

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The staff are approached by the leaders of the site, I am sure every one had specific reasons for their invitations but at a base level it is an offer made to active, knowledgeable and respectful members of the community who contribute to the site. Having time on your hands is nice, but isn't usually a factor.

The forum needed more staff, I was an enthusiastic, sensible and level headed member (Rob's words) so I was among those picked, even though I had just turned 17. It's just babysitting you lot and it gives me more freedom to write up articles for the subforums I am responsible for as a Moderator. Admins fine tune the background stuff and make sure the forum works as it does. As a team we have members online most of the time to keep it tidy. The majority of our work is actually in the marketplace.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I've been an admin on a couple of cichlid forums and a mod on others, but this is general and not to speak for management of this forum--

Unless you own or are partnered in a site, it's not typically something you volunteer for. I was asked in each instance. Generally it takes some years as part of a forum so that you're known, respected, and have a good reputation with members and staff. You need to be around long enough that management knows and trusts you. They have to be looking for someone. A fish forum typically wants someone with some knowledge of the fish. You need to prove over time that you're level headed, respectful to members, able to be diplomatic and good with people, willing to speak up when needed but not a hot-head, 'authority' doesn't go to your head, good judgement dealing with issues that come up, not a name caller or someone who frequently gets into spats with other members, sometimes you need to be able to handle some of the background software.

Edit-- I'd already written all this stuff, or I'd have left Hendre's post as already a good answer. :)

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
The staff are approached by the leaders of the site, I am sure every one had specific reasons for their invitations but at a base level it is an offer made to active, knowledgeable and respectful members of the community who contribute to the site. Having time on your hands is nice, but isn't usually a factor.

The forum needed more staff, I was an enthusiastic, sensible and level headed member (Rob's words) so I was among those picked, even though I had just turned 17. It's just babysitting you lot and it gives me more freedom to write up articles for the subforums I am responsible for as a Moderator. Admins fine tune the background stuff and make sure the forum works as it does. As a team we have members online most of the time to keep it tidy. The majority of our work is actually in the marketplace.
Really surprised being level headed at 17.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store