How to fatten up VATF

EAC007219

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2015
My vatf seems to be doing pretty good overall. When I bought it at 4" in May it was being fed rosie reds. It is currently feeding on cut tilapia and I soak hikari carnivore pellets in water with the tilapia.
While it is eating, it only eats a very small amount at a time compared to the trio of tinfoil that it lives with. It's grown about an inch in 2 months but it looks like it always has a thin abdomen...
Anyone have any tips to fatten up this little beast???
Wish I could get a pic for you guys, but it is way to quick:)

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Is the tiger not eating because the tin foils finish up the food before the ATF gets to it? Or it just doesn't want to eat? If it's the latter, I agree with moe214 moe214 's suggestion. Or else I'd just get rid of the tin foils. My 14" guy goes for days without eating and will eat massive amounts after his fasting. It usually happens when they're teething.

EAC007219

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2015
Feed small amounts multiple times a day
I do feed twice a day. It will eat then rush up on food like its going to eat then pass it by. Just doesn't seem to get full, even though it is eating.

EAC007219

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2015
Is the tiger not eating because the tin foils finish up the food before the ATF gets to it? Or it just doesn't want to eat? If it's the latter, I agree with moe214 moe214 's suggestion. Or else I'd just get rid of the tin foils. My 14" guy goes for days without eating and will eat massive amounts after his fasting. It usually happens when they're teething.
Yeah, I think I'm going to get rid of the tinfoil barbs. I put them in after reading a sticky about using them to "train" the atf off from feeders. That is really cool you have a 14"

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Yeah, I think I'm going to get rid of the tinfoil barbs. I put them in after reading a sticky about using them to "train" the atf off from feeders. That is really cool you have a 14"
They're helpful when you're pellet training the ATF. IMO, you don't have to have tin foil barbs, I used silver dollars to train my growout goliath.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
My 14" guy goes for days without eating and will eat massive amounts after his fasting. It usually happens when they're teething.
Just to clarify to the OP, your 4" atf shouldn't be fasting, fasting is something larger fish do who have already gone through their growth spurts and gain their girth.

Reactions: sunnysjourney

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I do feed twice a day. It will eat then rush up on food like its going to eat then pass it by. Just doesn't seem to get full, even though it is eating.
Sounds like it may still be adjusting is all, it sounds unsure of the food it's being offered.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store