How to get big dats to eat pellets?

nomad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2008
Colorado
just got my 12" ST to eat pellets (got him last july) .....I placed the pellets inside small pieces of shrimp, so the shrimp barely covers the pellets....it was just a matter of time until he started eating pellets by themselves. GL

frootloops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Philippines
nomad;4005301; said:
just got my 12" ST to eat pellets (got him last july) .....I placed the pellets inside small pieces of shrimp, so the shrimp barely covers the pellets....it was just a matter of time until he started eating pellets by themselves. GL
I think I'll give that one a try. So from July til present you've been stuffing pellets into the shrimp and only now did it accept pellets only?

nomad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2008
Colorado
frootloops;4005456; said:
I think I'll give that one a try. So from July til present you've been stuffing pellets into the shrimp and only now did it accept pellets only?
no ...I did this consistently for about 3 weeks (last month) until he started taking pellets.
Before that I didn't bother trying thinking that a dat this size (10+" at the time) will never switch...comes to show :)

frootloops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Philippines
nomad;4006309; said:
no ...I did this consistently for about 3 weeks (last month) until he started taking pellets.
Before that I didn't bother trying thinking that a dat this size (10+" at the time) will never switch...comes to show :)
Oh I see, I'll give that mehtod a go first before trying the starvation technique

frootloops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Philippines
keonigt;4007700; said:
so the shrimp you buy is just from the supermarket?
from the wet market so they're fresh

keonigt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2010
Hawaii
hmm gotta find the wet market, btw is it ok to convert them when they ar 1.5 inches?
and can i starve them at this age?

frootloops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Philippines
How do you place the pellet inside the shrimp so that it sticks and won't just pop out when it hits the water? I tried this and when the ngt tried to eat the shrimp the pellet popped out and so he wasn't able to eat it.

Can I wrap it in Dory fillets instead? That would be so much easier

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
I would take a knife and stick it threw the fattest part of the shrimp and just shove it in there. Sometimes it will split the shrimp but can't always be perfect.

frootloops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Philippines
Wow the advice you gave in the other thread about dicing the shrimp until mushy worked great! Thanks! Now wrapping the pellet in a thin layer of shrimp meat is easy :thumbsup:

I just gave some to my NGT and he took it without hesitation. Now all I have to do is gradually lessen the amount of shrimp

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store