How to get rid of snails (WITHOUT SNAIL BOTTELED SNAIL KILLER)

Cichlidfamily

Feeder Fish
Sep 1, 2017
hi guys I guess the title says it all really I have a 240 litre tank with angel fish & a bristle nose & a Borneo sucker. We have had an infestation of these tiny pest snails & need to know how to get rid of them without using a bottle killer/chemicals. Or a snail killer that is safe with hillstream loaches as they are super subedtabile to meds? Our LFS suggested clown loaches but they’re not something I’d want long term so we’d only give them back once the snails are gone. Any other suggestions?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Get a empty bottle and place some lettuce inside. Come back in the morning and remove the snails. Rinse and repeat.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
If they bother you get an assasin snail, but really snails are beneficial in that they break down uneaten food

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Deadkiestviper7, especially if you are taking about those tiny cone snails, those that work thru the substrate keeping it from compacting and going anaerobic, helping to break down old food, plant matter, and other things that need further breaking down.
That said,
I have found the cichlids of the Malagasy genus Paretroplus to be amazing snail eaters. If a tank became over run, I could put a P menerambo, or maculatus in the tank and within 24 hours, the snail population would be severely reduced. They can moved from tank to tank as needed, and will dig into the substrate after hidden snails.
Paaretroplines have can opener like teeth that can extract the snail flesh from those with shells too hard to crush.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store