How to grow huge fish in ponds.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
This thread is about growing huge fish in outdoor ponds. I'll start with the basics.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
first off the basics:water quality,growing season,genetics,diet and even breeding effect a fishes size.
So what fish do u a want a to grow to giant sizes in your pond?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I can't get em that big lol, in my old neighborhood raccoons were the (apparently) the favorite prey of the coyotes grey wolf hybrids(cats and small dogs aren't eaten by this pack)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
A
I can't get em that big lol, in my old neighborhood raccoons were the (apparently) the favorite prey of the coyotes grey wolf hybrids(cats and small dogs aren't eaten by this pack)
Around here some raccoons and cats eat together but I have observed some raccoons piss and poop in the food bowls that neighbors have out for the cats.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Maybe u can use firecrackers to scare em off,or if allowed u can make a stylish new hat or whatever(I once made leather from a catfish my friend found).

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
K krichardson wanna grow a gigantic bluegill in your pond ? First off get only one bluegill about 2 to 3 inches(get only one because they stop growing once they reproduce),u can feed them the same pellets u feed your koi and goldfish,u can also throw in insects,worms,minnows,bread,krill,etc.
Bring the bluegill in during the winter months for even better growth. Expect a fish over a pound.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
K krichardson wanna grow a gigantic bluegill in your pond ? First off get only one bluegill about 2 to 3 inches(get only one because they stop growing once they reproduce),u can feed them the same pellets u feed your koi and goldfish,u can also throw in insects,worms,minnows,bread,krill,etc.
Bring the bluegill in during the winter months for even better growth. Expect a fish over a pound.
Yeah but I don't want it hassling my koi.The pond is not very big and I fear a fish like that could become a problem in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
My friends pond isn't very big either and it has goldfish with a bunch of big 1 pound hybrid bluegills,everyone gets along fine(some of the smaller goldfish aren't even 3 inches long)

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Are we talking man made ponds? Concrete, plastic, liner.....
Or natural ponds?
Makes a big difference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store