How to identify juvenile flowerhorn?

Smungung

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Secaucus,NJ
How do you know if a juvinile cichlid is a flower horn or another fish? I was at petsmart and saw a few fish labeled as jack Dempsey and a few i think as texas cichlid but there was one that was separated from the rest and not labeled it was significally more aggressive and trying to attack the other fish through the clear divider. how do you tell the difference between different species of young cichlid?

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
the flower spot on both sides of the head with, the red at the chest and spreads out, with some pearls. And they are braver towards human.

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
Not all have spots on the head nor do they all have red on the chest. Look for the flower line, its should follow the lateral line down the fish's body. Other then that it's pretty hard to identify them at really young age.

Reactions: LouhanKp

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
Not all have spots on the head nor do they all have red on the chest. Look for the flower line, its should follow the lateral line down the fish's body. Other then that it's pretty hard to identify them at really young age.
man You dont know anything

Reactions: kelman

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
man You dont know anything

Dude are you special or high? Everything you have given adivice on is wrong or in accurate.

Before you start talking smack and insulting ppl let me set you right. The flowerhorn unless its a zz will lack red in the chest and especially in the mid/end of the body. The "red that spreads out" is often only found in SRD which commonly have a flower marking ( i know u need help to understand what the flowerline actually is) most kamfas, faders/gb, golden monkey and texas reds will not have this marking.

The "flowerhorn" fish is a hybrid cichlid, i know A animal guy cichlid is a big word let me explain. Cichlidae
Traits are as followed:
º a single nostril on each side of the head/forehead
º a spilt lateral line
º a specific structure of the. ear bone
º intestinal tract is also different
A flowerhorn is a hybrid consisting of many central America cichilds such as Amphilphus and Synspilum, first bred in the early to mid 90s in Malaysia. As a result the hybrid fish often has a nuchal hump (horn) and a flowerline wich are the black markings that run along the lateral line (more specifically the second lateral line) hints the name Flowerhorn.

Depending on which strian of fish you have will differentiate the traits it will have.
Kamfa; a larger bulky build, normally white or yellow eyes that are sunken in, a small mouth with even lips, a fan tail and sometimes have a flower marking on the head.
ZZ/ Red dragons: rounded tail, a round large mouth with a underbite, normally red eyes that protrude out, a nuchal hump and pearls.
Faders/GB; a goden based flowerhorn, will fade as juveniles, often vivid in color as a adult and commonly red or yellow in color.

In conclusion you now see why your it is difficult to properly identify and juvenile flowerhorn especially with comes down to what strain it is I hope this helps you better understand the flowerhorn as a fish.

Last edited:
Reactions: ny.subway

LouhanKp

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Dude are you special or high? Everything you have given adivice on is wrong or in accurate.

Before you start talking smack and insulting ppl let me set you right. The flowerhorn unless its a zz will lack red in the chest and especially in the mid/end of the body. The "red that spreads out" is often only found in SRD which commonly have a flower marking ( i know u need help to understand what the flowerline actually is) most kamfas, faders/gb, golden monkey and texas reds will not have this marking.

The "flowerhorn" fish is a hybrid cichlid, i know A animal guy cichlid is a big word let me explain. Cichlidae
Traits are as followed:
º a single nostril on each side of the head/forehead
º a spilt lateral line
º a specific structure of the. ear bone
º intestinal tract is also different
A flowerhorn is a hybrid consisting of many central America cichilds such as Amphilphus and Synspilum, first bred in the early to mid 90s in Malaysia. As a result the hybrid fish often has a nuchal hump (horn) and a flowerline wich are the black markings that run along the lateral line (more specifically the second lateral line) hints the name Flowerhorn.

Depending on which strian of fish you have will differentiate the traits it will have.
Kamfa; a larger bulky build, normally white or yellow eyes that are sunken in, a small mouth with even lips, a fan tail and sometimes have a flower marking on the head.
ZZ/ Red dragons: rounded tail, a round large mouth with a underbite, normally red eyes that protrude out, a nuchal hump and pearls.
Faders/GB; a goden based flowerhorn, will fade as juveniles, often vivid in color as a adult and commonly red or yellow in color.

In conclusion you now see why your it is difficult to properly identify and juvenile flowerhorn especially with comes down to what strain it is I hope this helps you better understand the flowerhorn as a fish.
Just one thing to say.These days many modern kamfas have red eye though the white or yellow is still more liked for kamfas

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store