How to improve sump, and maybe reduce noise ?

Hmontoya93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2020
A lot of the noise is coming from the last Chamber with the blue, since the water level is lower than the other chambers. If I turn off the sump the water settles right to the top, maybe oven small amount of too much water. I don’t like this, but it’s the only way to keep it quiet. I would like to fill the sump less and keep it somewhat quiet. I am just used to canisters and HOBs this is giving me a headache

IMG_0113.jpeg

Hmontoya93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2020
This is the top, it is a wide sump that someone local made perphaps that is the issue

IMG_0114.jpeg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...I dont use baffles in my sumps cause for me they just complicate things.
Absolutely! Partitions are a PITA. I love seeing pictures of large sumps...that are so loaded with superfluous and useless partitions that there is actually very little space in them for media, heaters, etc. Most of the time, a good inspection and a few seconds thoughtful analysis will show that many, most, or even all of them can be eliminated with no effect on function.

But, hey, they look cool...or at least they do until algae grows in some of those narrow, hard-to-clean channels they create, like the one between those two blue sheets here.

OP, if you just removed those blue panels altogether, you would vastly improve the capacity of your sump to contain the overflow that occurs when the power goes out. Right now, the only chamber in which the water level rises and falls as evaporation occurs, or when the pump goes out, is that dinky little one on the far right. Without the blue panels, all of the sump to the right of the sock chamber would perform that function.

In fact, if any of the noise you hear is generated by the water falling over the first blue partition...and I don't know if that's the case...you could reduce that significantly by simply clipping one of those media bags to the top of the partition just to the right of the sump. That way, instead of the water just dumping over that and splashing into the lower water level, it would trickle down through the bag much more quietly. You'd even get a bit of wet/dry action going on, to placate the tech-loving "Hey...look at my filter!" crowd. :)

Last edited:

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
A lot of the noise is coming from the last Chamber with the blue, since the water level is lower than the other chambers. If I turn off the sump the water settles right to the top, maybe oven small amount of too much water. I don’t like this, but it’s the only way to keep it quiet. I would like to fill the sump less and keep it somewhat quiet. I am just used to canisters and HOBs this is giving me a headache

View attachment 1518839
Ah i see. Yes gives me a headache as well. Wish i could help more. Is it air getting sucked into the pump when the water level drops or is it the water rushing between the baffles? Maybe if the space between the blue baffles was a little wider it wouldnt restrict the flow through the sump as much????

Maybe try a reef forum. Those people love baffles.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Yes, the water needs something to run through like a mesh bag or coarse filter pad. Try to fold a thin coarse filter pad over the top of the blue baffle and drape it in between the blue baffles to just under the waterline.
only issue is you need to keep it clean/ free running. Whilst it cuts down the noise it increases the risk of clogging. Same works with a clean (aquarium safe) cloth but very much depends on the flowrate.
I actually have a fine filter wool pad half way down where you have the blue baffles for the water to pour onto/through because by the time the water gets there, there should be no debris in it to clog the wool pad.
Hahaha, mine is my old reef tank n sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store