HOW TO: Installing 3D Backgrounds / Tips & Techniques

Jordamnd

Feeder Fish
Aug 28, 2011
Harwood, MD
3D... Amazing ideas and projects well put together. If and when I have time for my aquarium this would be one of the my first attempts. great pics and good jobs well done.

tsoto80

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
Such beautiful tanks everyone! I would love to do this on my 50 but OMG I almost had a heart attack when I saw the price!!:WHOA: Maybe I will experiment on one of my smaller tank first. lol

Wulfonce

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2009
Ontario
I'm thinking of getting the 72" Malawi Rock 3D background from Aqua Terra.

Questions:

My 125g has a double brace. Is there a trick to removing the upper trim, or do I just stick a knife in there and start blindly cutting? What if its siliconed to the top edge of the glass? I'm pretty well screwed then right?

I have an fx5 on that tank. I understand how I would setup the output, but what about the input? Would I just leave the standard fx5 input behind the background and drill a few small holes to let water in behind the background?

I get brown algae sometimes. Can I use a stiff brush on these backgrounds without damaging them?

majorhavok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2012
Left Coast
fanastic pics and post. Kinda sucks that a lot of these are premade and wouldnt match my new 125 corner tank very well, but i have only really looked at the design by nature ones so far. prices are pretty high though...

Zcddrew

Exodon
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
these are awesome! I wish I had taken the time to do this! I just used a regular paper background.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store