How to insure driftwood is safe to use?

mcjlance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2009
Newport, RI
www.animalsri.com
I was recently hiking in the woods and came across a very nice piece of wood in a creek. It is very clean (smooth no bark), waterlogged and heavy. I was going to boil it ( big piece so I'd have to boil one end at a time in a big pot) and test it in a tank with a couple of goldfish to see if their was any negative effects before I put it in one of my large tanks with fish I care about.

My question is. Are their certain types of common wood that would naturally be toxic, and what is the best way to go about this or what is the level of risk to my fish? Is this just the kind of thing I know is a mistake but am to in love with the piece?

greenearthlawns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Danville, NH
Do you have a pic to post so that mabye someone would know if it is a toxic type or not, I guess you'll find out with the goldfish anyhow~ I would like to see the piece you found though...

McFluffrichromis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2008
Alexandria VA
X2 feeder fish. It may brown your water for a while. Soak the wood for a week or two then put in tank with feeders.

arherp

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2009
Kentucky, USA
Test it in a tank with feeder guppies or other cheap fish.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Burn it! :FIREdevil That will leave it COMPLETELY safe! :D :ROFL:

jphillips2020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle
Just boil it. If its to big just boil up water and pour it over serveral times. I have 3 pieces of drift in my tank that I found by the river never had a problem. Course the rivers around my place the water is just warm enough not to freeze so I think the chance of bad things living on it are atleast reduced.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store