how to maintain peacock color

vfc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Philadelphia
I think lighting has more impact than food. I have an AquaGlow light that high reds and oranges; my sword tails look unreal.

My LFS has a large show tank with the most colorful (and expensive) fish. What most people don't realize is that over the tank is a couple thousand-dollar lighting system. They turn on one set of blue-enhancing lights when the tank has AC Peacocks (e.g., Electric Blue Ahli's) and another set that high lights red and orange, etc. So when I buy fish from that tank, they never look as colorful; even after weeks of NLS, Spiraluna, etc.

mezzy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2007
london
The other factor with peacocks is their tankmates. If they are in a setup with boisterous fish or aggressive mbuna they dont show their true colours.

fish head )'>

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
S.E. Michigan
fish head )'>;866147; said:
When ever I bring home a new African cichlid from the store I can expect it to gain color within a day.
I need to clarify myself. This is on adult fish. Those little guys ARE pumped with hormones and lose color for me.

This little red peacock lost all the blue head. I do at least know what his potential is when he gets to be adult.

100_9985.jpg

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
How many other peacocks are in their? My two male Ahhi were showng great potential to becoming really colorful. Lately, my Protomelas male has become the dominate male and all other peacocks and utakas have become much duller in color. They are still healthy, just not as colorful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store