how to maintain the black color in a goldfish indoors?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Usually when they're black with the bronze belly they stay that way, I forgot what the difference is exactly but I remember there's a different kind of black that gives a good indication of if and where it's going to fade to orange

Reactions: C. Breeze

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
If the aquarium is placed in a dark place or has a dark and rocky bottom, these cells will produce more melanin, and the goldfish will begin to have dark spots on their bodies and fins.
This is the opposite of what is known to goldfish people. Sunlight and bright aquarium light is best for deep color. For deep blacks you need bright light. It is the same with cichlids.

Reactions: C. Breeze

Arthur11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2021
I have a 30 gallon goldfish tank. One of them is starting to turn black. I have read several articles about the causes of fish discoloration, one of which is melanophores, a type of fish skin cell that contains melanin. If the aquarium is placed in a dark place or has a dark and rocky bottom, these cells will produce more melanin, and the goldfish will begin to have dark spots on their bodies and fins.
Those are some many reasons why does a goldfish turn black. It can be annoying and sometimes hurting if you see your goldfish darken over time. The cause can be natural, which is okay, but if it is not a natural cause, you will need to do a lot of maintenance stuff in your aquarium.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
You can try tanning lights like those used in Asia…they replicate UVA and UVB. However, it’s common for goldfish to lose their black

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store