How to make DIY root tabs

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
Ok so,
There is lockdown in India so I cannot go out and even the online shopping is on pause
Can someone suggest a way to make diy root tabs for amazon swords
Really need them coz I have planted them in sand and I see browning
Pls help

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
Can fish foods be used ? as a fertiliser

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Fish waste should help. Food isn’t as good but can do something. Not sure how one would diy the root tabs. Most important for swords is strong light.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I use good old garden clay and put that underneath gravel, but need to make sure it’s a few inches of gravel because garden clay will really cloud the water if something digs. Alternatively plant the swords in clay in plant pots if you have a really deep tank. This way you can use clay and move them around, but only works in a deep tank.
Can also get garden clay and dry it out and use it as root tabs. Roll clay into balls when still moist. Then dry them out or even bake them a little till dry. Then put them round the roots under the sand. Only do this when they are dry though otherwise they cloud the water. But again you need to ensure they stay covered which might be hard with sand as most folks only keep a fine sand bed, not too deep.

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
I use good old garden clay and put that underneath gravel, but need to make sure it’s a few inches of gravel because garden clay will really cloud the water if something digs. Alternatively plant the swords in clay in plant pots if you have a really deep tank. This way you can use clay and move them around, but only works in a deep tank.
Can also get garden clay and dry it out and use it as root tabs. Roll clay into balls when still moist. Then dry them out or even bake them a little till dry. Then put them round the roots under the sand. Only do this when they are dry though otherwise they cloud the water. But again you need to ensure they stay covered which might be hard with sand as most folks only keep a fine sand bed, not too deep.
Yep guys thank you
I have no fish in the bowl only plants do a little cloudy could work
I have 50/50 fertiliser soil mixture can I just make a ball and dry it then bury it near their roots?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store