How to make small frontosas eat

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
I have 3 small (1"-1.5") frontosas in my growout 70g and I had them for almost 2 weeks now but they're barely eating anything (as far as I know), they only nibble at the food that I gave them and that's it. I tried feeding them Hikari sinking cichlid gold and crushed massivore delite, will try to feed them shrimps this weekend. Also I don't really give them a lot either and I feed them only once a day since right now I can't really see them eating that much.

Any tips to make them eat more? or what to feed them?

I also have a powerhead in the tank to have some flow in it, it's only a 900 l/hr powerhead and it's a 4ft wide tank. Do you think this contributes to them not eating that much because of the flow?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have 3 small (1"-1.5") frontosas in my growout 70g and I had them for almost 2 weeks now but they're barely eating anything (as far as I know), they only nibble at the food that I gave them and that's it. I tried feeding them Hikari sinking cichlid gold and crushed massivore delite, will try to feed them shrimps this weekend. Also I don't really give them a lot either and I feed them only once a day since right now I can't really see them eating that much.

Any tips to make them eat more? or what to feed them?

I also have a powerhead in the tank to have some flow in it, it's only a 900 l/hr powerhead and it's a 4ft wide tank. Do you think this contributes to them not eating that much because of the flow?

Was your aquarium cycled when you added the small Frontosa? What are your water parameters?

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
Was your aquarium cycled when you added the small Frontosa? What are your water parameters?
Yes, it was where my endli was for like 2 years before (endli is in another tank now). I also did a 50% water change before adding the fish. I currently don't have test kits right now with me but I also just did a water change last weekend. Do you think the flow is affecting the fish? should I remove the powerhead to see if it would help?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes, it was where my endli was for like 2 years before (endli is in another tank now). I also did a 50% water change before adding the fish. I currently don't have test kits right now with me but I also just did a water change last weekend. Do you think the flow is affecting the fish? should I remove the powerhead to see if it would help?

It's possible it could be too strong of a current from the powerhead. Lower the flow and see if that will help. If possible take a sample of aquarium water to your lfs to be tested.

BC88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2006
IL
Have you tried any frozen food like brine shrimp or baby brine shrimp? You might also have more luck with ground up flake food versus pellets when they are that small.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Have you tried any frozen food like brine shrimp or baby brine shrimp? You might also have more luck with ground up flake food versus pellets when they are that small.
I agree about the live baby brine but the crushed flake suggestion is a good do to the urgency of this situation.

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
Thanks guys! I'll try to remove the powerhead for now since the flow is not really adjustable. Would also try finding brine shrimp, would blood worms also work?

Unfortunanely there's no way for me to test the water unless I bought a test kit.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks guys! I'll try to remove the powerhead for now since the flow is not really adjustable. Would also try finding brine shrimp, would blood worms also work?

Unfortunanely there's no way for me to test the water unless I bought a test kit.
Tbh newly hatched brine shrimp is one of the best nutritional foods for small fry. Adult frozen brine shrimp unless stated on the package is low in nutrition as well as bloodworms. I personally would keep feeding the crushed pellet at this time. I would not try to feed shrimp because not eaten could cause a major water quality issue if left in the aquarium.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Btw the small Frontosa have been in the aquarium for over 2 weeks and still alive. How are the Frontosa's appearance are they skinny? Are they active at all?

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
Tbh newly hatched brine shrimp is one of the best nutritional foods for small fry. Adult frozen brine shrimp unless stated on the package is low in nutrition as well as bloodworms. I personally would keep feeding the crushed pellet at this time. I would not try to feed shrimp because not eaten could cause a major water quality issue if left in the aquarium.
I see, thanks for the info!

Btw the small Frontosa have been in the aquarium for over 2 weeks and still alive. How are the Frontosa's appearance are they skinny? Are they active at all?
They are currently active but would still run to hide when I approach the tank and they're not skinny at all! So maybe they just nibble all the leftover food that's in the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store