How to prepare tilapia for fish

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
If you cook it the fish would probably not find it as food (maybe the catfish). It gets rid of important healthy vitamins and nutrients. I thaw it out and cut a piece off. I cut small pieces for all my bichirs to eat, as they are in the same tank.

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
What happens if I do cook it? Would it affect the fish in any way? I am reluctant to feed raw.
Your fish probably won't eat it.
If I cook it should it be cooked in garlic and oil? I know garlic is good at attracting fish especially ones like Bichirs and Lungfish which are not visual hunters.
Do NOT cook it in oil, especially when you have bichirs and lungfish. They need to reach the surface for air and the oil can coat their lungs IIRC. Scratch that, don't cook it in oil period because it will mess up your water quality.

Just feed it raw. People have been doing it for ages and its fine.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I soak my raw, thawed, cut up in bite sized pieces of tilapia with Boyd’s vitachem and a little bit of Seachem galic guard. Since these are just meat filets they dont have all the goodies typically found in the guts of whole fishes. This is why I will also feed things like silversides to my bichirs

Dexdomitor

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2022
Texas
My senegal bichirs go nuts when they smell the tilapia in their tank! I give them freshly chopped, defrosted chunks once or twice a week.

I, too, was reluctant to feed raw, but as long as you clean up anything not eaten by the next day/only feed what they will eat, you shouldn't have any problems.

Reactions: tlindsey

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
DMD123 DMD123 do you feed vitachem to your bichirs?

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Thawed cut up fish is normal - Uncooked- and dehydrated krill is not a favorite for my fish tanks whatsoever they ingore it at all costs.

cut the fish fillet to appropriate sized pieces your fish is comfortable on eating/consuming. Its normal for different sized bite preferences. try a little at first and see how they like it. Some will like it rightaway others might snub and ingore it just dont think its you doing something wrong. Experiment with size being offered too. ? enjoy watching them

Reactions: tlindsey

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Hello, how do I prepare tilapia I bought today to feed to my fish, 3 bichirs, 2 pictus catfish and a SA Lungfish. Does it need to be cooked/seasoned/prepared in any way before feeding? And as a secondary question, is freezedried krill and such foods good for large predators?
Since this is a general question I figure I would ask here
Yup I would lightly season it with pepper and salt. Add half a stick of butter and fry the tilapia until golden brown. Can add rosemary or thyme. Your bichirs would love it!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yup I would lightly season it with pepper and salt. Add half a stick of butter and fry the tilapia until golden brown. Can add rosemary or thyme. Your bichirs would love it!
LOL!.....guy says he is reluctant to feed raw foods to his fish,is he trolling?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store