How to prepare tilapia for fish

The Lost Tapes

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2021
LOL!.....guy says he is reluctant to feed raw foods to his fish,is he trolling?
No I am not, I have never done it before and my main worry is infecting them with something.
Yup I would lightly season it with pepper and salt. Add half a stick of butter and fry the tilapia until golden brown. Can add rosemary or thyme. Your bichirs would love it!
Funny lol

Thawed cut up fish is normal - Uncooked- and dehydrated krill is not a favorite for my fish tanks whatsoever they ingore it at all costs.

cut the fish fillet to appropriate sized pieces your fish is comfortable on eating/consuming. Its normal for different sized bite preferences. try a little at first and see how they like it. Some will like it rightaway others might snub and ingore it just dont think its you doing something wrong. Experiment with size being offered too. ? enjoy watching them
Alright, I assume bigger is better since they can death roll the food

If you cook it the fish would probably not find it as food (maybe the catfish). It gets rid of important healthy vitamins and nutrients. I thaw it out and cut a piece off. I cut small pieces for all my bichirs to eat, as they are in the same tank.
I guess so

I soak my raw, thawed, cut up in bite sized pieces of tilapia with Boyd’s vitachem and a little bit of Seachem galic guard. Since these are just meat filets they dont have all the goodies typically found in the guts of whole fishes. This is why I will also feed things like silversides to my bichirs
Should I just get like whole fish then, such as sardines or something? In addition to tilapia?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Should I just get like whole fish then, such as sardines or something? In addition to tilapia?
The goal is foods that do not have thiaminase. This can cause vitamin deficiency in your fish, thus supplements like Boyd’s can help. Im not sure on sardines… Ive used this as a guide http://www.gartersnake.info/articles/2012/all-about-thiaminase.php
Granted it is geared toward snakes but the info is still helpful. It does list sardine as a thiaminase fish, so something I dont use.

I generally use the frozen pet store ‘silverside’ with my bichirs. They are a bit big so I cut them up into bite size pieces. Bichir can be pellet trained which also provides a well balanced diet. The carnivore or massivore pellets from Hakari are usually readily taken or the easiest to get them on.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
No I am not, I have never done it before and my main worry is infecting them with something.
Alright now that that is out of the way,go to the supermarket and get yourself a bag of frozen raw tilapia fillet or some frozen raw shrimp,if you get shrimp make sure not to get the bags of frozen cooked shrimp.....thaw the food,cut it into slices if need be and feed the pieces to your fish.

The Lost Tapes

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2021
The goal is foods that do not have thiaminase. This can cause vitamin deficiency in your fish, thus supplements like Boyd’s can help. Im not sure on sardines… Ive used this as a guide http://www.gartersnake.info/articles/2012/all-about-thiaminase.php
Granted it is geared toward snakes but the info is still helpful. It does list sardine as a thiaminase fish, so something I dont use.

I generally use the frozen pet store ‘silverside’ with my bichirs. They are a bit big so I cut them up into bite size pieces. Bichir can be pellet trained which also provides a well balanced diet. The carnivore or massivore pellets from Hakari are usually readily taken or the easiest to get them on.
So basically goldfish and such are off limits. I feed massivore already but wanted to diversify their diet since they are growing more now

Alright now that that is out of the way,go to the supermarket and get yourself a bag of frozen raw tilapia fillet or some frozen raw shrimp,if you get shrimp make sure not to get the bags of frozen cooked shrimp.....thaw the food,cut it into slices if need be and feed the pieces to your fish.
Should it always be broken up or just give it whole since bichirs can death roll

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
So basically goldfish and such are off limits. I feed massivore already but wanted to diversify their diet since they are growing more now

Should it always be broken up or just give it whole since bichirs can death roll
I don't keep bichirs currently but for my fish I cut the meat into strips or pieces that are easy for them to swallow.I would do the same if I had bichirs.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Alright thank you

Yeah I saw a thing on that being bad for many animals not just fish
You're welcome....goldfish are bad for a number of reasons,using them is like playing Russian Roulette with your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store