how to preserve fish or anthing else

coreyweinkoetz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
manitowoc,WI
Whats metho and earlyer someone said formaldhyde where do you get that all I can find is formalin which is 3% formaldhyde????????? what about the strong alcohol not everclear "Isotopic" like rubbing alcohol normal rubbing is less than like 30% but I was told You need like 90% anyone know where to get this stuff???? Also I brought some Denatured alcohol I dont know what this is all it says fuel for marine stoves and used to clean glass and metal Anyone know anything about this stuff?????

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
coreyweinkoetz;2046769; said:
Whats metho and earlyer someone said formaldhyde where do you get that all I can find is formalin which is 3% formaldhyde????????? what about the strong alcohol not everclear "Isotopic" like rubbing alcohol normal rubbing is less than like 30% but I was told You need like 90% anyone know where to get this stuff???? Also I brought some Denatured alcohol I dont know what this is all it says fuel for marine stoves and used to clean glass and metal Anyone know anything about this stuff?????
Anne is going to be one of the best sources for information on this subject here, so wait for her to see this, but why not use everclear? Not the 190, but the 150 proof stuff, its right around the alcohol % anne recommended and if I remember correctly its distilled grain alcohol. I'd think that it would make a good candidate for preserving, and if it didn't work out grab yourself some OJ and have a ball.

neekaragua

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
victoria
i dont know about in the states but in canada you can get 99% iso from just about any drug store (unless the drugstore is in a bad neighborhood) you just have to ask the pharmasist for it

jbnebres

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NE of Asian Arowana F
X24;2045756; said:
So i could preserve a fish in Everclear? sweet, good for mixing AND preserving! :ROFL:
lol. sippin on some fish concoction....:ROFL:

coreyweinkoetz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
manitowoc,WI
No, I'm looking for museum quality specimen's not somthing funny looking. I'm working with specimen's that are worth a couple hundred at least, well when they where alive that is but thank's anyway

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store