how to properly freeze pellets?

JackEmerson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2022
Hi,

I am considering buying some bulk pellets, but unless the food is frozen, my fish will not be able to eat it all before it expires. So, I am considering buying bulk and freezing a portion of it.
My question is, what is a reasonable way to freeze it so it stays fresh?

Can I just split it into little zip lock bags and freeze like that?
Do I need to get all the air out (does it even really matter if it is frozen)?
About how long will a frozen container stay fresh in the freezer?

Thanks!

Reactions: tlindsey

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Ziplok freezer bags work great, just try and express as much air out of the bag before sealing it.

When I bought NLS pellets in buckets, I would just remove enough food to feed for a couple weeks in an smaller container and put the tightly closed bucket in the chest freezer. It still smelled fresh and the fish ate it for about a year before buying another one.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I use a vacuum sealer which draws all the air out of the bag before sealing it; then into the freezer. It completely prevents freezer burn in any human foods stored like this and has made a huge difference in storage of meat in particular; so it was (for me) a no-brainer to store large quantities of commercial fish food as well. Works like a charm.

It was not a no-brainer for my wife; she didn't and doesn't like the idea of using the same gizmo for our roasts and steaks that I also use for my slabs of DIY gel food and pellets. But then, she doesn't like the stuff in the same freezer either, so...what're ya gonna do? :)

JackEmerson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2022
she doesn't like the stuff in the same freezer either, so...what're ya gonna do?
Ha, I got scolded today for leaving gravel bits on the counter. She puts up with a lot from me. Though, I did today get permission to use the freezer chest for some pellets, so life is good :)

Reactions: jjohnwm

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Good post from RD:

Reactions: JackEmerson
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store